System shuts right down, with no warning when I start a Skype call

Also shuts down when I visit certain websites such as asus.com. Things I've tried are: replacing power supply, replacing memory, disconnecting all additional drives, usb devices, running CHKDSK, other drive diagnostics, running anti-malware scans.
Answer
Answer
I installed the ASUS utility but when I restart, I get this message:  "Can not load EIO.DLL" and the ASUS SmartDoctor utility won't start.
This seems to be a common problem with ASUS Smart Doctor (which I didn't know about before I suggested that you use it).

If you Google EIO.dll, you'll find a number of possible solutions.  Some of these say that you should update all of your drivers (which I think you've already done).  I saw 3 suggestions that might possibly help (I don't have an Acer, so I can't test them):

1.  (a) Search for EIO.DLL and (assuming that it is found) make a note of its location; (b) open regedit (Start > Run > regedit > OK), search for EIO.DLL and carefully check the path shown and correct, if necessary, to correspond to the actual location of the file.  As always, it's prudent to make a backup of the registry before making changes.  A useful tool for this is (free) ERUNT.

2.  Right-click on the program's icon, select Properties, and click the Compatibility tab. Run the program in "compatibility mode."  (I'm not sure if this will help for XP or whether it was advice for Vista/Win 7 users to run it in XP compatibility mode).

3.  Open Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc > OK); click View > Show hidden devices; disable EIO and enable EIO_XP

Other than that, I'm sorry, but I'm out of ideas.
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 24, 2017 Views 861 Applies to: