How to fix corrupt files found and not repaired by sfc /scannow?

Hello,

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.  My Windows 7 installation came OEM with my Acer Aspire One AO756.

The system had notified me that my hard disk had corrupt sectors and suggested I run chkdsk.  When I ran chkdsk from an elevated prompt, it said it would run the next time I rebooted since the drive was in use.  But it never did.  I read that the reason for this might be that the file autochk.exe might be corrupt.  So I tried running sfc /scannow.  However, it only got to 10% before it stopped and said it was unable to continue.  I made a system repair disk and ran chkdsk /f/r from there.  It said it fixed/repaired various issues.

After this I ran sfc /scannow again.  This time it ran to completion.  It said:

==================================

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.  For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

==================================

Looking in CBS.log, I found three files were corrupt:

2013-10-15 11:59:35, Info                  CSI    00000320 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"autochk.exe" of Microsoft-Windows-Autochk, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2013-10-15 11:59:35, Info                  CSI    00000322 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"dinotify.exe" of Microsoft-Windows-PnpUi, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2013-10-15 11:59:35, Info                  CSI    00000324 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"batt.dll.mui" of Microsoft.Windows.Hardware.Devices.ClassInstaller.BATTERY-DriverClass.Resources, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

That is, autochk.exe, dinotify.exe, and batt.dll.mui cannot be repaired.

I tried following the directions here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Under Step2, I did 1) and 2) for each file from an elevated command prompt:

=====================================

C:\Windows\system32>takeown /f C:\windows\system32\autochk.exe

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\windows\system32\autochk.exe" now owned by us
er "ruchira".

C:\Windows\system32>takeown /f C:\windows\system32\dinotify.exe

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\windows\system32\dinotify.exe" now owned by u
ser "ruchira".

C:\Windows\system32>takeown /f C:\windows\system32\batt.dll.mui
ERROR: The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\Windows\system32>icacls C:\windows\system32\autochk.exe /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS
:F
processed file: C:\windows\system32\autochk.exe
Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

C:\Windows\system32>icacls C:\windows\system32/dinotify.exe /GRANT ADMINISTRATOR
S:F
processed file: C:\windows\system32/dinotify.exe

C:\Windows\system32>takeown /f C:\Windows\system32\en-US\batt.dll.mui

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\system32\en-US\batt.dll.mui" now owne
d by user "ruchira".

C:\Windows\system32> icacls C:\windows\system32\en-US\batt.dll.mui /GRANT ADMINI
STRATORS:F
processed file: C:\windows\system32\en-US\batt.dll.mui

=============================

However, now for 3) I need a known good copy of each of these files.  Where would I find that?

I will be grateful for your help.  

ADVthanksANCE

Hello Ruchira,

The DLL and EXE files aforementioned, are often loaded in directories that correlate to the placement of a main program in operating system. These files contain coding elements that are used by other programs. You need to repair or reinstall the concerned programs with which these files are associated because editing DLL files involve risks and may corrupt the concerned program unless you know specifically what programs go with what files. However, you can use the following steps to correct the errors with these files:

Hotfix associated with Autochk.exe: Download and install the hotfix available in the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975778

Errors associated with dinotify.exe and batt.dll.mui are sometimes fixed by restoring registry restore if you have a backup of the registry already exported before. Else, you can restore these files from a Windows 7 installation disc. Make sure you know the drive letter of the drive in which the disc is inserted and expand these files using the following commands:

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\dinotify.exe_ c:\windows\system32

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\batt.dll.mui_ c:\windows\system32

for example, if the drive letter is D, you can type the command as:

expand D:\i386\dinotify.exe_ c:\windows\system32

Then, try running the sfc scan again and check if the errors associated with these files are fixed. Please post the new CBS logs after the scan, if not fixed.

If that does not help, then perform an In-place upgrade on Windows 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099
Note: Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer. However, backup all important data.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/back-up-your-files

Thank you!

Regards,

Harkanwar

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.  In the meantime, I had obtained good copies of the files and put them in place.  Now this is the output of sfc /scannow:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

Thanks again for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 29, 2019 Views 2,538 Applies to: