How do you remove Ubuntu and GRUB?

Okay, so I wanted to try out a few things on Ubuntu and since I recently installed Windows 7 on my older Dell, it had wiped my previous Ubuntu installation clean.  So I tried using Wubi to install Ubuntu 9.10 on a separate partition... unfortunately when I restarted it didn't appear in the boot menu.  I restarted again to find the same results.  So I wiped the partition clean and tried it again... same results.  Then I did the same thing but with Ubuntu 9.04 and same results.  So once again I wiped the partition then I decided to try to install it inside of Windows 7 with Wubi.  And what do you know... it still didn't appear in the Windows boot menu, so I simply uninstalled it.  (Now I realize now that at this point I should have messed with the boot manager but I wasn't exactly thinking the best at the time) So then, I made the final mistake ( I think),

I installed it inside of Windows without Wubi therefore installing the Grub menu.  When I booted into Ubuntu, I soon found for some odd reason it had like no disc space to work with so I thought I would just uninstall it and try Debian or something but then I realized that... I had no earthly idea how to delete it.  It had no listing in my C:\ drive, or anything else.  As a matter of fact, I can't even find its drive except for when I am booted into Ubuntu.

What I am asking for is how to remove Ubuntu and the Grub menu and have just a single-boot format with only windows 7.

Thanks in advance.
Answer
Answer
<!-- [if gte mso 10]> <mce:style> GRUB Problem & Unbootable System

I installed LINUX (Ubuntu 9.10) on my Dell Optiplex R&D PC just for curiosity & feel how good are the looks and in this process also fiddled with the partitions on the hard disk too. It was somewhat usable but soon I got fed up with driver & other issues so decided to get rid of it.

I thought restoring Windows 7 image from my WHS would be just a cakewalk, and relatively the process was very easy using Home Computer restore CD & the system showed everything restored and asked for reboot.   As I rebooted the system to my surprise it gave me this

GRUB Loading.

error: unknown filesystem

grub rescue>

then I rebooted again & nothing else happened but the same error. I tried to figure it out by using all the commands people have suggested everywhere on internet and wasted about 4 hrs in search of a solution. The system remained unbootable with some data in windows partition but I was aware that I haven’t touched that partition but was still anxious to get everything as it was. Until I came across this instruction page on Microsoft's site and I am narrating the tips I followed for the recovery.

Quick and easy fix to remove the dirty GRUB and get Windows again.

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and power cycle your PC after setting it to boot from CD Drive in BIOS.

2. Press a any key when you are prompted & select [language, time, currency, keyboard etc.] & click Next . Select Repair Your Computer option in the dialog window.

3. In the ‘System Recovery Options’ window Click the 1<sup>st</sup> Option Startup Repair and let it do what it wants to do, but in my case it didn’t solve the problem so I went to the next step.

4. In the ‘System Recovery Options’ dialog box, go to the last option i.e. Command Prompt .

5. Once in the command prompt (X:\Sources> ), type exactly the following commands in the same sequence

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

C:

CD Boot

Attrib bcd –s –h –r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

then it said

“Scanning all disks for windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while…

Successfully scanned windows installations: 1

[1] C:\windows

Add installations to boot list? Yes(y)/No(N)/All(A) : “

I pressed ‘Y’ as there was only one instance of windows installation.   Then it said The operation completed successfully.

6. Next entred the following command      bootrec /fixmbr    It said The operation completed successfully.

7. Next entred the following command      bootrec /FixBoot  Again It said The operation completed successfully.

8. Set the BIOS again to boot from the HDD and reboot.

GRUB was gone & finally the cool windows 7 was booting again. Hope this will help someone out there with a not so good experience

with LINUX and want to get rid of the dirty GRUB left as sloppy waste by the Free OS.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Arkansas Adam,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

You can format the Ubuntu partition from Windows Recovery Environment and check if it helps.

Use the Windows installation disc to go to windows Recovery Environment or system recovery options page. Follow these steps:

1. Insert the disc.

2. Restart your computer using the computer's power button.

3. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

If your computer isn't configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/BIOS-frequently-asked-questions  

4. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

5. If you are using the Windows installation disc, click Repair your computer.

Now continue with the instructions until you get an option to format the partition. Select the partition where Ubuntu is installed and click on format.

Important
: It is important to backup your data before you format your drive as all the data will be erased from the drive.

If this doesn’t solve your problem, then please post this issue in the Ubuntu community forums for further assistance. Here’s the link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/  

Regards,
Afzal-Microsoft Support Engineer.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 1, 2022 Views 129,974 Applies to: