Error code 80072EFE can't update Windows

Error code 80072EFE comes up every time I try to do a Windows Update on my Dell Inspiron 1464 running Windows 7 Home Premium. I've tried all the solutions suggested: Running tdssrootkill tool (my machine is completely clean), deleting my anti-virus (Avast), checking to make sure WU has firewall exceptions, deleting the catroot2 folder, and running MS Fixit - to no avail. I'm out of ideas and haven't been able to update my laptop since January. Any suggestions? 
Answer
Answer

Hi,

1. What type of internet connection are you using?

2. Do you have issues only when installing service pack? Or installing all the Windows updates?

Method 1: Perform clean boot.

To do this, follow steps from this link:

NOTE: After you check the functionality in clean boot configure Windows to use Normal startup using the step 7 suggested in the link mentioned above.

Method 2: Refer this link.

Troubleshoot problems installing a service pack for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/troubleshoot-problems-installing-service-pack

When you disable Antivirus: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2023 Views 16,378 Applies to: