Error 0x8007277a: requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized

I recently discovered that I have not had a Microsoft Update in several months.  After going to services.msc on the Start menu and then to Windows Update the status section was blank.  Clicked on this and attempted to start the Update Service but got the above error message.   How can I correct this?  (I have used the Microsoft Fixit Tool -- but it does not fix this problem).  Error 0x8007277a: requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized
Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

If I understand you correctly, you are receiving the Error 0x8007277 which is typically a Windows Update error while you were trying to start the Windows Update Service.

As you mentioned that there were no updates offered in windows updates for several month also the windows update service is also missing.

May I know which Microsoft fixit tool did you run, or the KB Article?

Let us try few troubleshooting steps to try resolving your issue that you’re facing now.

Method 1: Windows update Troubleshooter.

Windows update Troubleshooter can be performed when System having problems finding and installing operating system updates.

Click on the link provided to perform troubleshooting the Windows update

a) Click the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel.

b) In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.

c) Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update.

d) Click on the Windows Update troubleshooter and click on the next tab to follow the steps.

Method 2 : Manually reset windows update components:

a) Click on Start Menu at the bottom left.

b) In search bar, type CMD in search box and click to open.

c) Right click on CMD and select Run as administrator.

d) Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do  this, type the following commands at a command prompt and press the ENTER key after you type each command.net

stop wuauserv net

stop cryptSvc net

stop bits net

stop msiserver

c) Now rename the Software Distribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt and press the "ENTER" key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old.

Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services in order to start those services you need to type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this and press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauservnet

start cryptSvcnet

start bitsnet

start msiservere

Then type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it. Now you may try running the Windows Updates and check if you are able to install the security update. For further reference, you can refer to the link below in method 3.

Method 3: How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Important Note :Please follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur. Please click in the provided link below to know how to back up the registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Please feel free to post if any assistance needed further, we will be glad to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for your valuable response. We really appreciate you efforts in resolving the issue.

Be assured that we are here to help you with your concern.

This problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

1. The Windows Update database is corrupted.
  2. Antivirus software is configured to scan the %Windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder.
  3. The Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service does not receive a content link header.
  4. A required system file is registered incorrectly.
  5. Windows Installer encountered an error.
  6. The Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted.
  7. The Windows Opdate service stopped during the installation.
  8. A file version conflict exists with Windows Update agent files.

I suggest you to refer to the link below to see what needs to be done when you are Unable to install updates in Windows 7,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997

Important: When you follow the method 7 from the above link, make sure that your antivirus application does not scan the files in the %windir% \SoftwareDistribution directory on any computer on which Windows Update Agent is installed.

Note These files are not at risk of infection. If you scan these files, serious performance problems may occur because some files may be locked. If a specific set of files is identified by name, exclude only those files instead of the whole folder. Sometimes, the whole folder must be excluded. Do not exclude any of these items based on the file name extension. For example, do not exclude all files that have a .dit extension. Microsoft has no control over other files that may use the same extensions as these files.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope the above information was helpful, kindly get back to us if you need any further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2021 Views 7,996 Applies to: