• August 9, 2016
    Announcement: When will I get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update has been released starting on August 2nd.  It will automatically download and install when available. If you want to check for the update now, select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security >Windows Update > Check for updates.

Some Windows 10 editions have a defer upgrades setting that will prevent the update from installing immediately.  When deferring upgrades, it puts the device into the Current Branch for Business, which delays new feature updates from installing for four months.   To toggle this setting OFF, select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update >Advanced options, and clear the checkbox for Defer upgrades.

If you don’t want to wait for Windows Update to install the Anniversary Update, and you want to install it now, you can do so by going to Get Windows 10 and clicking Update now.

After the Anniversary Update is installed, your PC will be running Windows 10 Version 1607. To see what version your PC is running, select the Start button, then select Settings > System >About.

Question

What is in the January Update (1/8/2013)?

Hugo_V asked on
What updates to Surface with Windows RT are released today (1/8/2013)?
1 person had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Jordana_S replied on

Hey there Hugo_V.

That is a great question. The January update, which will be available later today, includes a few improvements for Surface with Windows RT.  This update provides System Firmware (UEFI) improvements including:

• Improvements to audio playback when in Connected Standby
  • Additional capabilities for handling firmware updates during low battery situations. 

I hope this is helpful, please let me know if you have any further questions

To check for updates:

1. Open PC Settings, by swiping in from right edge (or, if using a mouse, point to upper-right corner of screen)
  2. Tap or click Settings
  3. Tap or click Change PC settings
  4. Under PC settings, tap or click Windows Update
  5. Tap or click Check for Updates
13 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Jordana_S replied on

Hey there Hugo_V.

That is a great question. The January update, which will be available later today, includes a few improvements for Surface with Windows RT.  This update provides System Firmware (UEFI) improvements including:

• Improvements to audio playback when in Connected Standby
  • Additional capabilities for handling firmware updates during low battery situations. 

I hope this is helpful, please let me know if you have any further questions

To check for updates:

1. Open PC Settings, by swiping in from right edge (or, if using a mouse, point to upper-right corner of screen)
  2. Tap or click Settings
  3. Tap or click Change PC settings
  4. Under PC settings, tap or click Windows Update
  5. Tap or click Check for Updates
13 people found this helpful

Abuse history

RickDollBV replied on

No WiFi fixes?
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

JasonMorton replied on

Still no fix for my limited wifi though:(

Installed the update, restarted worked awhile and then the wifi locked up again.

please Microsoft fix this issue, as lt is making my experience unbearable.

Abuse history

photobriangray replied on

I recently went into desktop mode to check wifi settings and unchecked search for networks while connected and it seems to have helped with a company network that was always less than stable.  Maybe give that a shot.

Abuse history

Steven_B replied on

Greetings all,

We are still aware of the WiFi issue and working on getting it resolved.
4 people found this helpful

Abuse history

HighDesertBruin replied on

Steven_B: Thanks for your reply to regarding the WiFi issue. It's encouraging that issue is receiving enough attention that you seem mildly surprised a fix wasn't included in today's update.

If a fix is ready prior to next Tuesday, will it be pushed out immediately or will it be held until next Tuesday?

Thanks again.

Abuse history

GilberteMichaud replied on

What are the steps for my Ipad and Ipod? 

Abuse history

SuperClydesdale replied on

I installed the update and have rebooted 3 times yet I still have a ! in Devices and tells me the Aggregator won't work until I reboot.  Doo I need to be plugged in?

Abuse history

KenOhrn replied on
After installing the update, I am delighted to find that my microSD card shows up in "Computer" as the "D:" drive.  No 12-step processes required. 

The music (MP3 tracks) on it play as expected. 

Thanks, Microsoft.  This is a welcome change. 
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

Ali916 replied on

After these automatically installed today. I got a crash dump.  Great!  Not so tech savvy and had NO idea doing what is "recommended" would cause my computer to be unusable.   Thanks!   

Any ideas what part of the install could have caused this?  I don't have much third party software on my system. 

Abuse history