Question

How to update to 8.1

Josh_F asked on

How do I update my Surface RT to Windows RT 8.1?

Thanks,

Josh_F

19 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Easywin replied on

Hi slartibartfirst,

The 8.1 upgrade creates an 8.1 recovery partition in your Surface RT. In case of a reset your device will go back to Windows RT 8.1, but if you use a recovery drive with Windows RT 8.0 after the reset your device will go back to Windows RT 8.0. This is the only way for RT owners to go back the Windows RT 8.0, even if it's not recommended because the OS and the Apps will follow the new 8.1and the procedure to go back to a previous version on an RT could be not so safe.

Regards,

Easywin.

1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

JasonJsun replied on

Thanks everyone, it has been fixed. I was not format the USB correctly. Thanks again.
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

slartibartfirst replied on
I have removed the restore partition on my SurfaceRT (by creating a boot USB recovery drive) and releasing the 4GB of extra storage space on the device.

I understand that the Windows 8.1 will be an in-place / over the top upgrade done from downloading from the Windows Store.

My question is: 

Will the upgrade put a new Win 8.1 recovery partition in place on the SurfaceRT?
If not, how will I be able to do a reset or fresh wipe of the tablet in future, as using my existing Recovery Drive would put Windows 8 back in place?

Thanks
slartibartfast

Abuse history

Easywin replied on

Hi slartibartfirst,

The 8.1 upgrade creates an 8.1 recovery partition in your Surface RT. In case of a reset your device will go back to Windows RT 8.1, but if you use a recovery drive with Windows RT 8.0 after the reset your device will go back to Windows RT 8.0. This is the only way for RT owners to go back the Windows RT 8.0, even if it's not recommended because the OS and the Apps will follow the new 8.1and the procedure to go back to a previous version on an RT could be not so safe.

Regards,

Easywin.

Abuse history

slartibartfirst replied on

Thanks Easywin

That's a good solution. 

I presume it will be possible therefore to make a new Win 8.1 Recovery Drive from the upgraded platform, and then remove the recovery partition off the SurfaceRT to release extra storage space like before?

Thanks
slartibartfast

Abuse history

Easywin replied on

Of course you can. When your device will be fully updated to the new Windows 8.1 and you check that everything works properly, then save your recovery partition in a flash drive (exactly the same you already did with the Windows RT 8.0 version), delete the recovery partition in your device if you'd like to have more extra storage space, and in case of a future reset with your flash drive you will be able to reinstall your device OS to Windows RT 8.1.

Enjoy your Surface.

Easywin.

Abuse history

TimTheLimey replied on

Hi,

I have a Surface RT which is running Windows 8.1 Preview.  I have lost my recovery media used when I installed the preview.  How can I now update to the release version of Windows 8.1?

Alternatively, how would I rollback to the original Windows RT without recovery media?

Thanks,

Abuse history

Plantje replied on

On a Windows 8 machine I saw a new update available in the Windows store. However, my Asus Vivotab RT (running Windows 8.1 RT Preview as well) does not get the update in the store!

Abuse history

TimTheLimey replied on

As I understand it, it won't appear in the store.  The official method is probably to rollback to 8.0, run updates and then check the store.  Not sure what happens if there is no recovery media (overwritten on the USB drive, my bad).

I'm worried as the preview expires in January - theoretically bricking my Surface.  The clock's ticking. :(

Abuse history

TimTheLimey replied on

This might help some people:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-preview

It doesn't help me though.  My Surface is up to date and the store isn't offering me the upgrade.

Abuse history

Plantje replied on

I am currently installing Windows RT 8.1! :)

Go to http://www.windows.microsoft.com

Click to know everything about the update (I'm translating from the Dutch site on the fly here...)

Then choose the option that says something like:"I installed the preview version from the Windows Store or by using media under Windows 8"

In the item that opens you can click "from the Windows Store". The Windows Store will open in the screen where you can choose to install Windows RT 8.1!

On my machine after doing so it appeared nothing happened and I got back to the home screen of the Windows Store. I performed the steps again and I saw:"Installing Windows RT 8.1" Yes! It is going to happen!

7 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Plantje replied on

If you go to the store it will not appear. If you use the link to the store as I mentioned in my other reply it points directly to the correct location in the store

Abuse history