• May 24, 2016
    This is an alert Alert: Surface updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 published 5/24/2016

We recommend that you install these updates to keep your Surface performing its best. To check for updates now, go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

After you restart your Surface, confirm the updates are installed. Go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and then select Advanced options > View your update history.

For details on Surface updates, please check the Surface update history page. 

If you experience any difficulty downloading or installing updates, please check the Trouble installing Surface and Windows updates article for assistance.

- The Microsoft Surface Team

opalchip replied on

Reply In reply to deleted message

Not to mention:

- Huge hotspots on the screen from components pushing on it from behind.

- On/Off button sometimes requires 2 or 3 tries to get it to respond.

- Surface Dock not working AT ALL with many common monitors like my Dell 3007's and 2007's. I believe it's a problem with the Dock sending output to DVI ports. Truly unbelievable that it wasn't tested ( either that or the rather monstrous limitation isn't disclosed by the Marketing Dept.).

- Touchpad is somewhat laggy, though it has improved since October.

- Left side of touchpad much more sensitive to tap and pinch than Right side of touchpad

- Hard corners uncomfortable in use as a tablet

- (Here's a doozy I just discovered) - Edit a photo in a Nokia 930 (or probably any WIndows 8.1 phone) using the native "Crop, rotate, auto-fix". Now try moving it to the SP4 through the Surface Dock,  "Access is Denied". (It is not denied if the photo is unedited OR moving an edited photo directly through USB to the Surface).  It is only Access Denied when coming through the Dock.  It gets worse - if the photo already exists in the folder on the SP4 that you're moving to, and you choose Copy and Replace - it deletes the photo from your SP4. Nice...

- There will be more obviously, as we continue to use these things.

10 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Pasi Vanttaja replied on

Another Surface Pro 3 user waiting for Graphics driver update here as well. Same issues.
5 people found this helpful

Abuse history

KentSpain85 replied on

Joe, I need an honest answer from Microsoft. Is this standby battery life a bug or is it going to be like this? Because the ONLY thing I did yesterday (from 100% charge) was update the drivers, and leave it in sleep for a total of 3 hours and I'm at 72% battery life.... I literally did NOTHING else with it. No productivity, no downloading GB over the network, nothing. My surface pro 2 sipped battery compared to my surface pro 4 in sleep mode. 

Can we expect this issue to be fixed? Or is this battery life totally acceptable for the Surface Pro 4? I was expecting either the same or better battery life for this new device, but productivity-wise, I can't use it for work if it's going to die on me in my bag or on my desk throughout the day with minimal use... I still have about 15 more days to decide if I'm going to keep it... I'd really REALLY appreciate an answer... Thank you very much in advance!

Kent

Abuse history

ioan i replied on

Hi all,  We will be releasing a new driver sometime later today 12/2/15. 

For those that are seeing the following issue, this new driver will improve the situation. 

Display appears to hang, and then you will get a message that the display adapter has reset.  Usually happens in certain scrolling situations on web pages.

We are continuing to investigate the issues that you are all reporting. We are listening.

This is a very clever wording, is true the new driver seems to improve the situation, it does not solve it however. There are still crashes of the driver and there's still the battery drain. Any chance we can expect an update that solves the problem rather than "improves the situation"? I even had the driver crash and recover while looking at the battery-report.html generated by powercfg...

Abuse history

BowL易しいJ replied on

Not to mention:

- Huge hotspots on the screen from components pushing on it from behind.

- On/Off button sometimes requires 2 or 3 tries to get it to respond.

- Surface Dock not working AT ALL with many common monitors.

- Touchpad is somewhat balky/laggy, even though it has improved since October.

- Left side of touchpad much more sensitive to tap and pinch than Right side of touchpad

- Hard corners pretty uncomfortable in use as a tablet

- (Here's a doozy I just discovered) - Edit a photo in Nokia 930 (or probably any WIndows 8.1 phone) using the native "Crop, rotate, auto-fix". Now try moving it to the SP4 through the Surface Dock,  "Access is Denied". (It is not denied if photo was unedited OR moving edited photo direct through USB to the Surface).  Not only that, if the photo already exists in the folder on the SP4 that you are moving to, and you choose Copy and Replace - it deletes the original photo from your SP4. (Since Microsoft decided to Deny Access to the copy on the phone - hey, you must not be allowed to see the original on your computer either, right? Nice...)

- There will be plenty more. I suspect, as we continue to use these things.

I recently found some addition problem. 
1.  I opened silde show mode in Powerpoint 2016. Then, I read my sheet and took no action on my Surface Pro 4 about 5 minutes. After that, I touched my surface and it responded nothing. I tried to fix by push power button on the upper-left corner to lock screen and push again to wake it up but it useless. I ought to restart, then I can fix .

2. I watched video on this website (http://www.cp.eng.chula.ac.th/~somchai/ULearn/Algorithms/). It uses Edge's video player I guess. While I'm watching, it sometimes show some flicker or wave (I can't describe it).  Moreover, When I watch in full-screen mode and change mode back. It sometimes has some error and headphone can't use again. I can only use speaker. And I ought to restart to fix it.

I want to know why they occur?

3 people found this helpful

Abuse history

LaggissSawada replied on

Asking over and over for "Joe" (or anyone) from microsoft to reply regarding the known bugs in the SP4 reminds me of Einstein's definition of insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."  I'm not usually taken to posting anything on forums but after more than a year, and a couple weeks after the SP4 was actually announced, a hardware update finally had my SP3 i7 able to reboot with the type cover folded back.  Loving my SP3 - finally - I ordered an SP4 i7 foolishly thinking it would have the bugs of the SP3 all worked out.  Thirty minutes after receiving my new SP4 i7, I spent 1.5 hours with tech support because windows Hello wouldn't let me use any alternative login, either PIN or Password.  I finally figured it out - without the help of tech support - that Hello requires you to turn the computer away from your face in order to get access to the alternative login options - great security feature microsoft.  Of course the tech support guy couldn't fix anything after doing surface scans taking control etc.. He was very sympathetic as a surface user himself.  The final suggestion was doing a complete reset of the device which seemed to solve the login issue as long as I didn't set-up Hello initially and I could then enjoy the set of features succinctly outlined in the posts above.   What a great out-of-the-box experience Microsoft.  I wonder if any of the surface engineers are surface users?  If so, then perhaps they can provide all of us some guidelines as to how we should be using the Surface Pro 4.  Clearly, I'm using the SP4 incorrectly and continue to do so.  This is the only logical conclusion given that the surface engineers have never noticed any of the bugs that we all enjoy daily and hourly.  So, I've returned my SP4 i7 due to hardware defects which is the only explanation I had for the features we are all enjoying so much.  However, for some reason, believing that the first i7 I received was defective, I've ordered another.  I guess Einstein is right.  I'll know after the December 18th ship date.
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

A. User replied on

@ Kent, Yes, The 'standby' battery life is an issue we are working on and have been working on.  We can put the processor into a deeper sleep state than it is currently set to.  We couldn't do it at RTM for a variety of reasons, power management is a very hard computer science problem to solve especially with new silicon.  Currently it is not in the deepest "sleep" that it can be so there are wake events that would not otherwise wake it.  We will have an update for this issue sometime soon in the new year.

One of the ways that you can improve the situation right away is to make sure you don't have web sites open that are actively streaming when you close cover of go put the device to sleep.  Especially if you have a website open that uses sound. This will keep the PLM service running.

To make it really sip power like your pro 2 did.  Pro 2 did not have Connected Standby. It went straight to hibernate or S4.  To do this on your book or Pro4 you can make that happen.

To do this have the device go to Hibernate (deeper sleep and not listening) instead of "Sleep" (always on or connected Standby)  I hope the picture is clear enough.

The

17 people found this helpful

Abuse history

groundie replied on

Reading these daily messages of woe and exasperation,

I am amazed with the generous patience of so many users with Microsoft and its clearly low QA'd product. SP4 has the ideal form factor, its screen size, keyboard and yes, the flexible multi-position hinge. Microsoft got the design right but the implementation an embarrassing failure!

Many of us love this thing and want it to succeed.

But a multi-billion $ corporation can't get its act together.

1) So-called tech support is a joke. Oh, they are courteous all right but those canned scripted monologues ("apply the updates", "let's try the 2-finger reset", etc. etc.) would be comical if not so frustrating.  My two separate support calls totally 2 or 3 hours were absolute waste of time.

2) $1000 device simply cannot have ANY issues with its screen or pen. Hardware or software it does not matter. It has to work flawlessly out of the box. No question.  And yet, here we are....

3) Out of the box, a wobbly power switch. Unacceptable.

4) To this day, the pen tip stops working randomly. Once every 2 or 3 days. My high-tech solution is to simply remove the battery and put it right back. Always works. This is a >$1000 high-tech device?

5) my SP2 never once had display or pen hiccups. Its battery lasted barely 4 hours or so but it sure charged up quickly. After skipping a generation, I wrongly assumed that SP4 would last at least 50% better.  But with nearly everything turned off (background tasks, brightness down, etc.) and doing routine emailing and web browsing, this thing last at best 4 or 5 hours. No, the latest Battery driver did not make any difference.  What a downer!

6) And oh, let's not forget Windows 10 with its revolutionary Start Menu and live tiles. Only those live tiles are not so live and they come alive randomly whenever they feel like it.  I've been a foolish dedicated Insider from the beginning and these live tiles have behaved or rather misbehaved all along.  Really, Microsoft, of all issues, I would have thought you get this one straightened out by one of thousand developers in the house.

Despite all this, some of us still support Microsoft and want it to succeed. I certainly do.

And like you LaggissSawada, I probably would do likewise and buy another one if mine were defective. Best of luck with the second SP4.  I'm rooting for you.

4 people found this helpful

Abuse history

BoscoRedBoy replied on

I am on my 3rd Pro 4 and this one, after the latest updates, seems to be working pretty good.  I no longer use "sleep."  I only use "Hibernate."  It still wakes up very quickly.  About 5 to 10 seconds.  My Netflix movies play well in both desktop mode and in tablet mode.  Although if I do not have the movie full screen then the task bar icons flicker at the bottom.  But the movie does not. Putting the movie in full screen gets rid of this issue.  The trackpad works almost all of the time now.  Only rarely does it stop and when it does my Microsoft Arc mouse still works so I can use it.  

I am suspicious that maybe the first two computers had hardware issues but I really do not know.  I do know that both of them had serious trouble when I used "sleep" mode.  I would strongly recommend not using "sleep" mode at all. 

So for me the computer seems to be working the way I want it to.  Granted I do not put it through all of the multiple tests that some of you appear to be using.  I just use it for Office 2016, email, web browsing and movies. I also use OneNote 2016. I use to to take handwritten notes and I find it works with no issues. The pen works great. So, I certainly plan on keeping the computer.  To be honest I was not sure things would work out but they seem to be now.  As for battery life, I just deal with it.  And since I use "hibernate" I do not lose much power overnight at all.  

All in all it is currently working well.  

1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

opalchip replied on

It's important to everyone (whether they realize it or not) that MSFT stays relevant, in keeping Apple from becoming a virtual monopoly in the Personal Computing space. That would be a consumer and technological disaster.
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history