Surface Pro 3 wifi connection "limited"

I am having a strange issue with my Surface Pro 3 connecting to wireless networks and I'm not 100% sure whats behind it. It seems to be some sort of strange compatibility issue with the Surface Pro 3 and BT HomeHub 5's?

A summary of the issue is as follows:
When I connect my Surface Pro 3 to my home network it initially works, the time varies (between 2 - 20 minutes). Then the connection becomes "limited". Restarting the router/the surface doesn't resolve the issue and some of the other devices connected to the network also see to struggle to connect to the network after this has happened (please note, that none of the other devices have any issues on the network until I try to connect the surface, then everything goes wrong).

My surface pro 3 works perfectly well on my work's wifi which isn't a BT HomeHub 5, but it has the exact same issue when I connect to my parents network which is a BT HomeHub 5.
BT sent me a replacement HH5 for my home network, but again the issue persists.

I spoke to microsoft via chat and uninstalled my network adapter and let it reinstall automatically. This didn't help the issue.

I notice a similar issue was brought up here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfnetwork/limited-connectivity-wifi-surface-pro-3/299f5ee8-e490-47a7-87a3-2a770eed7028?page=1

I don't know if they got anywhere with their issue, but it sounds like it's the same as mine.

Also, its probably important to note: This surface pro is my 3rd replacement after I smashed the screen on my first, had to send the 2nd back as its chassis was warped. This issue didn't appear to happen with either of those 2 surface pro's.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Answer

I don't know if the fix below will help or not, but please try it and report back yes or no:

1.Press Windows button. Search for regedit. Open it

2. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\mrvlpcie8897

3. Find the item labeled “TXAMSDU”. Double tap and modify the value from 1 to 0

4. Restart the machine

Cause:

Microsoft states there a known issue with .41 that results in low throughput with specific access points. The issue is specific to MAC layer aggregation (AMSDU over AMPDU) and only impacts a small subset of access points. They state they are working on a fix for an upcoming update. Until the fix is available, please update the registry key setting to work around this issue

If it does NOT work, change the value back to 1 and restart again.

When you say BT changed over to IPv6, do you mean you don't get an IPv4 address from them at all? Can you open a cmd prompt and run

ipconfig /all

copy and paste the TEXT (not a screen shot) into your reply.

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 21, 2022 Views 4,120 Applies to: