Josh_F
Found this helpful 1
Josh_F replied on
Microsoft Forum Owner

To ensure the best experience for our customers during the holiday season, we have taken steps to remove the update for Surface Pro 2 that was previously published through Windows Update on December 10th, 2013. We are working to release an alternative update package after the holidays.

Thanks,

Josh

liftbikerun
Found this helpful 0
liftbikerun replied on

To ensure the best experience for our customers during the holiday season, we have taken steps to remove the update for Surface Pro 2 that was previously published through Windows Update on December 10th, 2013. We are working to release an alternative update package after the holidays.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh, that's a great first step.  What about those who have already taken the update and are finding huge issues with battery consumption, hardware failures, and issues with booting/sleeping?

The issues have made our devices almost unusable.

TrevM
Found this helpful 0
TrevM replied on

This is good but any forecast on a release of a fix to resolve this issue - as very frustrating - and I guess the December update was there to fix something so removal just replaces one problem with another. Thanks.
TM
L.Sobrado
Found this helpful 0
L.Sobrado replied on

Thanks,

Josh

ok but what about everybody who got messed up? can you guys roll this thing back? my surface no longer charges to 100%, it refuses to even try. We need MSFT to at least have a way to put people back to the prior state without blowing away all their OS.

zhewy
Found this helpful 0
zhewy replied on

Perhaps they did. I just got a 90 meg hardware/driver update from windows update. Now regardless of power button settings it seems always to hibernate on press. Yet to see if all other problems mitigated at least, time will tell.
L.Sobrado
Found this helpful 2
L.Sobrado replied on

interesting. I checked and all I see are some irrelevant windows defender definition updates. Maybe the server I connect to doesn't yet have it. I'll keep checking and will post my results.
david-e
Found this helpful 0
david-e replied on

After getting the failed firmware patch 12/10. 
I stopped the windows update server "net stop wuauserv", renamed the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" to DataStoreold.edb, restarted the update service "net start wuauserv",

Then Ran Windows Update Troubleshooter:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates

Then restarted just to be sure of things, then ran disk cleanup "Clean up system files",
and made sure the windows update files were selected for cleanup.

After that restarted again for kicks. And re-ran regular Windows update.
After that it downloaded the firmware patch and installed with zero issues.
Perfect Device version matchup in device manager.

Hope it helps someone.

This did not work for me.
I had to Google "net stop wuauserv" to find out about / remember to use WindowsKey+R to get the Run box, and then entering "cmd" to be able to use the cmd prompt for "net stop wuauserv."
The link for Windows Update Troubleshooter also did not work. Again, I used Google to get to a link that did work.
But after completing all the steps and then re-running regular Windows Update - check for updates, I got an error that the Updater could not check for updates! (Sorry, I didn't record the exact message.)
I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter again, and that fixed that problem.
But re-running Check for Updates again returned No new updates are available.
All this has been tried on my Surface RT, running Windows RT 8.1
alexware
Found this helpful 0
alexware replied on

Perhaps they did. I just got a 90 meg hardware/driver update from windows update. Now regardless of power button settings it seems always to hibernate on press. Yet to see if all other problems mitigated at least, time will tell.
Based on the statement from the moderator I don't think you received a new update, maybe just like I did you received the same December update twice after a system files cleanup was performed. They were clear that the fix will come after the holidays.
liftbikerun
Found this helpful 0
liftbikerun replied on

After getting the failed firmware patch 12/10. 
I stopped the windows update server "net stop wuauserv", renamed the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" to DataStoreold.edb, restarted the update service "net start wuauserv",

Then Ran Windows Update Troubleshooter:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates

Then restarted just to be sure of things, then ran disk cleanup "Clean up system files",
and made sure the windows update files were selected for cleanup.

After that restarted again for kicks. And re-ran regular Windows update.
After that it downloaded the firmware patch and installed with zero issues.
Perfect Device version matchup in device manager.

Hope it helps someone.

This did not work for me.
I had to Google "net stop wuauserv" to find out about / remember to use WindowsKey+R to get the Run box, and then entering "cmd" to be able to use the cmd prompt for "net stop wuauserv."
The link for Windows Update Troubleshooter also did not work. Again, I used Google to get to a link that did work.
But after completing all the steps and then re-running regular Windows Update - check for updates, I got an error that the Updater could not check for updates! (Sorry, I didn't record the exact message.)
I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter again, and that fixed that problem.
But re-running Check for Updates again returned No new updates are available.
All this has been tried on my Surface RT, running Windows RT 8.1

Probably not working as this is only for the PRO model.  Not RT.
Iria
Found this helpful 2
Iria replied on

Thanks,

Josh

That is hardly fast enough for those of us affected by the issue.  How are we supposed to trust u when we have already received two bad SP2 updates?

Previous Previous Page of 99 Next Next