Surface Pro 2 battery drain since Dec update

Since applying the December updates (including firmware) the battery continues to drain after I stop using my Surface Pro 2.

I ran powercfg /energy and discovered that the likely culprit is my Touch Cover (version 1). Without the Touch Cover attached, I get no errors. With the Touch Cover attached, I get 2:

System Availability Requests:System Required Request

The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.

Requesting Driver Instance

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0280&SUBSYS_10EC104E&REV_1000\4&2aee3be3&0&0001

Requesting Driver Device

Realtek High Definition Audio

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend

This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.

Device Name

USB Composite Device

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C31

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0

Device ID

USB\VID_045E&PID_079A

Port Path

The USB device above is the Touch Cover. It seems to me that the audio control portion of the Touch Cover is interacting badly with the audio driver. This seems to prevent the Surface Pro from automatically entering sleep mode.

Before the December firmware update, I did not notice any unusual battery drain. One thing to note is that before the December firmware update, my Touch Cover Telemetry driver could not be installed. Applying the firmware update fixed that issue but caused this one.

I do not have any unknown devices in Device Manager. All my drivers appear to be up to date. There are no errors or warnings showing up in the Device Manager. All updates have been applied. I have not attempted any fixes to any of my pre or post firmware upgrade issues other than allowing Windows Update to do its thing. Also, please note that this is the original Touch Cover, NOT the Touch Cover 2.

Answer
Answer

OrenJKaufman,

This report is very troubling and we are investigating this over the holidays. This report is similar to others that we have received from a small number of customers, but unique in that your scenario requires a Surface Touch Cover for the behavior to manifest on your device.

Likely something on the firmware level is preventing your Surface from entering low power states during periods of inactivity when your cover is attached. We will be releasing an update to resolve our other sleep state scenarios soon. We are working to get this behavior to reproduce on a test device so that we can test our upcoming fix on it and make sure this behavior is also resolved. So far an in-house example of this behavior has proved elusive, but the trigger mechanism is likely similar.

Please stay tuned after the holidays for an update that will resolve this behavior.

Thank you,

Tim 

Microsoft Surface Team

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 16,619 Applies to: