Surface Book - keyboard and mouse freeze up

Today is my first day where i have worked about 6 hours on this new machine. The keyboard and mouse has locked up 4 times where i had to reboot the machine to get it working again.  Last night it froze two times and today it froze 4 times. The onscreen keyboard would work but that is worthless when you're actually working.

I did turn off Bluetooth to disable the pen and the surface mouse - and will continue to monitor BUT this is pretty disappointing.

If anyone at MSFT actually reads this, i'm happy to send logs.

Last freeze 2:45 pm CST (not to self - if i need to look it up).

Damon

Answer
Answer

Hi Pr2459.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing.

What I would like you to try is what we call a 2-button shutdown, instructions below.

Step 1: As your Surface is powered on, press and hold the Power-button for 30 seconds.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume up-button and the power-button at the same time for atleast 15 seconds, then release both.
The Surface logotype might flash on the screen while performing this step, but just keep both buttons pressed for the 15 seconds.
Step 3: Wait for about 10 seconds after you released the buttons.
Step 4: Start your Surface again by pressing and releasing the Power-button.

Let me know if this solves your issue. 

Best Regards, Dero16
Microsoft Surface Support

210 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I have exactly the same issue - keyboard and trackpad stop working. When this occurs the only keyboard key that functions is the Detach key. Detaching and re-attaching the clipboard from/to the keyboard base temporarily solves the problem. I have seen this happen waking from sleep and hibernate as well as spontaneously while browsing a website. I have applied all the updates, cleaned the connectors, etc. The symptom suggests (to me) that the clipboard has lost communication with the keyboard base. It happens to me roughly 2-3 times per day.

108 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 28, 2023 Views 28,143 Applies to: