Surface Book low resolution on 4k UHD monitor

My Surface Book doesn't output resolutions higher than full HD (1920 X 1080) when connected to a Samsung 28" 4K UHD monitor through the mDP on the keyboard base. My Surface Pro 3 was able to get max 4K resolution (3840 X 2160 at only 30Hz max) on the same monitor.

Has anyone else see this?

-I downloaded/installed the November 2nd update.

-Installed Samsung monitor driver

-SB Core i7/16GB RAM/512GB SSD w/ dGPU

-Monitor model: U28D590D

-Don't own the new dock

Answer
Answer

I have a Dell P2715Q 4k monitor 3840x2160 that works with mini DisplayPort thru the Surface Book and Surface Dock.  It is set up to use the MST input (mini DisplayPort 4k input).  However it was connecting at 30hz.  Using it with Surface Pro 3 it ran fine and at 60hz. So I checked for a solution on Dell's website and they were spot on with a fix.  When connected to the Surface Book the setting defaulted to 30hz.  You have to go into the OSD menu and reset the MDT (multi Stream Transport) to "Off" to run in 60hz.  That was it.

Additionally, I also connected a GeChic 1502H touch portable monitor FHD 1920x1080, 60 hz and the main SB screen at native resolution at 60hz. The Intel HD 520 display adaptor drives all 3 displays without any problems.

So the moral of the story, check with your manufacturer's FAQs to see how to reset the MDT input setting on your external monitor to take advantage of the higher resolution settings.  You may also need to make sure the monitor is DP1.2 version to run at  60hz or DP1.1 version to run at 30hz 4k 3840x2160 resolutions.

Hope this helps.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Update:

I wasn't able to find a mDP to DP cable in stores so I bought a mDP to HDMI HS Cat2 cable that supports 4K X 2K resolution. This setup did work at only 30Hz. I'm guessing I will have to buy a mDP to DP cable to get the full 60Hz. I was surprised to find that the same cables that worked on the SP3 are not backwards compatible with the SB hardware.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2024 Views 22,946 Applies to: