Windows Update not offering pre-release drivers

I had Windows 10 10074 installed the day of the release of the beta drivers from Intel. It came through Windows Update, there was a firmware update and everything. Windows 10 installed it and my Surface ran smooth after that. But I needed to go back to 8.1, and now with the release of the new build 10122, I wanted to go back to Windows 10. Well, with both builds, 10074 and 10122, I am not receiving anything but a firmware update that isn't applicable to my system I already have it installed, it just shows up, installs or at least checks to see if it can be applied and realizes it doesn't, and then after that my system is up to date.

I cannot get Windows Update to offer me up the pre-release Intel drivers for the graphics. Device Manager can't find them through Windows Update either, and I don't even have unknown devices detected, I installed the 8.1 drivers for everything but graphics. But its not even showing an unknown device for the graphics, it just shows a basic display adapter, and it thinks that's the best driver available when I check for updates for it.

I do NOT want to wait for Windows Update to be fixed, I want the pre-release Intel drivers released on here to download so I can install them myself. I am not waiting for Windows Update to push an update. I want the drivers on a flash drive the next time this happens.

I just can't believe there is no other source for these drivers other than Windows Update. Intel's website doesn't even offer a graphics drivers for the Intel Atom x7! Every driver from their website would not proceed with installation. Even their automatic utility said I had a future processor that the utility did not recognize or know of yet! And this is for Windows 8.1! I needed the Intel software to change some settings and I had installed 8.1 from scratch, I know the Intel software comes with the default image on the Surface 3 but I preferred a clean installation. The Surface 3 drivers on Microsoft's website do not provide the software, only the drivers.

Overall this is all messed up. Intel needs to have proper driver support for the Intel Atom x7 on their website for Windows 8.1, it's their SOC. And I want a download for those pre-release Windows 10 drivers, I am done checking for updates constantly hoping it might decide to push the right update with the right drivers.

Answer
Answer

I figured it out. Turn off driver signature enforcement and through device manager, install legacy device, choose graphics card from list, then click have disk. Locate the inf for the Windows 8 Surface 3 graphics driver. When it warns you the driver isn't signed, just allow it.

Graphics driver will kick in. Then go to Windows Update and check for updates, Windows Update will offer a Intel HD Graphics driver and install it automatically. The correct Windows 10 preview graphics driver will be installed.

You can also copy that installation from the Windows Update download folder to somewhere like a flash drive for quick access next build you install. Good luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 202 Applies to: