Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies

Please do NOT try to install Windows 10 10130 on the new Surface 3 or upgrade from earlier build

Community Moderator Edit 5/31/2015:

There are reports of non initialized disks and installation failures.

Please note Community Moderators/MVP's are not Microsoft Employees. We are volunteers who freely contribute our time to help others.

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP
13 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer

There are reports on Twitter and here in the Forums of failures to install/upgrade to 10130 on the Surface 3. Some are reporting a phantom uninitialized disk that can't be removed. More info as it becomes available.

Please do not install/upgrade to build 10130 on the Surface 3.

Barb
Windows Insider MVP
3 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Josh_F replied on

Community Moderator Edit 5/31/2015 - Info below was for earlier build.

Hi All,

The Surface team is working with Intel to get a pre-release Windows 10 driver set published to Windows Update in the near future.  Please keep checking Windows Update for the new driver set.

Thanks,

Josh_F

MODERATOR EDIT (May 13, 2015):  We have a pre-release Windows 10 driver set for Surface 3 published to Windows Update.  If you have installed Windows 10 on your Surface 3, please visit Windows Update and install these drivers. 

6 people found this helpful

Abuse history

vercetti757 replied on

Reply In reply to deleted message

Hi Barb,

Can you confirm for me if there is any problem using the drivers for Surface 3 found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

I had already installed Windows 10 on my Surface 3 as a Dual-Boot setup before reading this. I discovered that the drivers were posted the day after the Surface launched the drivers on that page worked great for me. Just wanted to make sure there were no additional problems that you were aware for the the Surface 3 on Windows 10.

Thank you!

Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

Those are Windows 8.1 drivers, not optimized for Windows 10 - which you can obviously use at your own risk. I can't personally confirm that there will not be issues with these drivers. The "proper" Win 10 experience would be to have optimized drivers in the build or have the W10 optimized drivers installed via WU during the install process.
Barb
Windows Insider MVP
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

i.create replied on

Hi There,

May I ask what someone should do who has just installed the windows 10 technical preview on the SP3? Also, wouldn't this warning be better placed on the download page?

Abuse history

vercetti757 replied on

Thanks for the quick response Barb. The biggest issue so far is the graphics performance with the generic driver, which is to be expected. I agree with your recommendation to not install W10 on a Surface 3 without proper drivers. It has been a valuable experience testing Windows 10 as a developer but not suitable for daily use quite yet on the Surface 3.

@i.create,

Just to clarify, this thread is referring to the Surface 3, not the Surface PRO 3 family. This problem does not apply to  Surface Pro 3 users since those devices use the Intel Core i3, i5, i7 processors which already have native driver support. This issues has to do with the Surface 3 (not Pro) family which uses the Atom Chipset instead, like Barb had mentioned above.

To be fair they have MANY MANY warnings on the download page telling to to not install on a business critical machine or your primary PC since it is GUARANTEED to have bugs and problems with any preview/beta OS. TL;DR Never install a Preview OS if you aren't comfortable re-installing a already released OS such as 8.1 again.

If you want to remove Windows 10 from your Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3 you can do so very easily. In some cases you can use the Windows Rollback feature if you had upgraded. The guaranteed way to go back to 8.1 is to boot the Surface from a Factory Reset USB drive that has all drivers and Windows OS files on it. You can download it for free from Surface.com/Support after you register your Surface for warranty. You boot the Flash drive with Volume Down and Power buttons, than Choose Troubleshoot, Reset. Make sure you back up all your data before doing this since it WILL WIPE ALL DATA. I recommend keeping a Recovery Key close by if you plan to do any beta testing or practice in a Virtual Machine just to be safe :-)

Abuse history

Josh_F replied on

Community Moderator Edit 5/31/2015 - Info below was for earlier build.

Hi All,

The Surface team is working with Intel to get a pre-release Windows 10 driver set published to Windows Update in the near future.  Please keep checking Windows Update for the new driver set.

Thanks,

Josh_F

MODERATOR EDIT (May 13, 2015):  We have a pre-release Windows 10 driver set for Surface 3 published to Windows Update.  If you have installed Windows 10 on your Surface 3, please visit Windows Update and install these drivers. 

6 people found this helpful

Abuse history

EddyR.A. replied on
I cannot download any windows updates after installing windows 10 on my surface 3.  It just stays at 0%. Please advise.

Abuse history

James Vinyard replied on

Chances are, they are downloading in the background.  Leave it alone for maybe an hour when you launch the updater.

After about an hour, reboot the machine and try again.  You may find that no updates are available and that is because they did download and installed during the reboot.

In Windows 10, the progress bar sometimes does not move but is downloading.  Take a look at your router and see if you see activity lights when you do launch the updater.  If they are flashing, leave it alone.  It can take a while.  If they are not flashing, you may have to do a REFRESH and try Windows Update again.

It is a little late now but you should not have installed the Windows 10 TP on the tablet; only desktops and laptops.  Some of us did with the Pro models and there have been some issues with them and mine; no issues.  Each machine can be a bit different.

If you do get it to update, just leave Windows 10 on it.  Intel is coming out with updates along with a few other driver makers for it.  The final release is only a couple of months away and they are working pretty quick to get them out.

James R. Vinyard

Abuse history

Rob_Corradini replied on

Any update on the graphic drivers? I installed Windows 10 Insider Edition and updated fully with Windows Update.  Windows 10 Rocks...but sucks because it was using the generic drivers...any ETA on Graphics drivers for Surface 3?

Rob

1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

James Vinyard replied on

For the Surface 3; probably nothing.  My Intel Core i7 desktop got an update for the Intel HD 4600 and have not fired up my Pro 3 for the last couple of days but both of those will have different graphics than what is in the ATOM.

I would say to keep checking Windows Update and if anything, you may have to do a REFRESH and reinstall the updates just in case it may have came across and bounced out or failed to install.

The moderator posted that Intel released pre-release drivers and possible Intel is still in that process.

Keep checking if anything.  I know that WDA driver just plain SUCKS!!!!

James R. Vinyard

Abuse history

James Vinyard replied on

Additional note: the Intel Graphics Family driver "DID" come across on the 15th.  You should have received it for Windows 10 TP.

The graphics driver update is for the entire Intel line and that includes the ATOM based tablet Surface 3.

James R. Vinyard

Abuse history