Ceiman
Had this question 9
Question
Ceiman asked on

Security essentials wont update

Hi my  problem is that my microsoft security essentials wont finish installing the updates. Am only trying to install 1 essential upgrade, it loads up to about a third of the progress bar but then refuses to go any further, has been like that for three days now. Have just tried to cancel the update now and it prompted me for the appropriate actions but the bar still hasnt changed.

Iv considereed it may be because of another security program i have installed but iv made sure its one of its trusted applications with full permissions. Should I uninstall it because if its definitions arent up to date it could pose a risk? Anyone got any advice?

Stephen Boots
Found this helpful 0
Answer

What operating system?

Prior Security Software?

A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/407bf6da-c05d-4546-8788-0aa4c25a1f91

If that fails to resolve the problem, open an email support case:

To open an email support case, start here:
https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

-steve

You should never have more than one security product installed on the PC providing active protection/scanning. This can cause performance issues, system instability, and can hinder the effectiveness of both products at providing protection.

You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software:

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
^_^
MVP Consumer Security, Moderator Microsoft Community
Aiscer
Found this helpful 0
Aiscer replied on

Does MSE prompt you for an Upgrade or an Update?

If the Upgrade is failing I suggest reinstalling MSE by obtaining the latest software from the Home PAge: http://microsoft.com/security_essentials

MVP [2010] | Consumer Security
Visit me @ Crimson Spectrum
Minion of the Moon, My Crimson Sanctuary
Stephen Boots
Found this helpful 0
Answer

What operating system?

Prior Security Software?

A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/407bf6da-c05d-4546-8788-0aa4c25a1f91

If that fails to resolve the problem, open an email support case:

-steve

You should never have more than one security product installed on the PC providing active protection/scanning. This can cause performance issues, system instability, and can hinder the effectiveness of both products at providing protection.

You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software:

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
^_^
DonaldUrban
Found this helpful 0
DonaldUrban replied on
Up until today (March 20) everything worked as it should.  Now I am having the same problem that Ceiman is reporting.  I have already tried removing MSE and reloading it, but it still will not finish updating.  And my computer status is "Potentially Unprotected".  I am not using any other antivirus software, other than Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SUPERantiSpyware, and Threatfire.
Stephen Boots
Found this helpful 0

Up until today (March 20) everything worked as it should.  Now I am having the same problem that Ceiman is reporting.  I have already tried removing MSE and reloading it, but it still will not finish updating.  And my computer status is "Potentially Unprotected".  I am not using any other antivirus software, other than Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SUPERantiSpyware, and Threatfire.

Updating or upgrading?

Have you restarted the PC and tried again?

Despite the claims that there are not problems with the 3 programs you have listed, disable or remove them if they are providing real time protection of any kind and see if that helps.

If you are having a problem with the program upgrade of MSE, uninstall and reinstall it.

-steve

^_^
Bckcrakt
Found this helpful 0
Bckcrakt replied on

I too am having this problem - just started.  It has been working fine for several months.  I noticed yesterday the defs were out of date.  These have been automatic in the past.  I updated manually.  After the updated, MSE said it had today's def but the banner and Windows Security Alerts still saw it as outdated.  I rebooted. Uninstalled MSE and reinstalled.  Still didn't work.
Stephen Boots
Found this helpful 0

I too am having this problem - just started.  It has been working fine for several months.  I noticed yesterday the defs were out of date.  These have been automatic in the past.  I updated manually.  After the updated, MSE said it had today's def but the banner and Windows Security Alerts still saw it as outdated.  I rebooted. Uninstalled MSE and reinstalled.  Still didn't work.

Right click the clock in the system tray. Select Adjust Date and Time.

Verify and correct the month, day, year, hour, minutes and time zone.

Reboot if you changed any of the above.

If that does not resolve the issue, please open a support case.

-steve

^_^
davisjm
Found this helpful 0
davisjm replied on

I am having the same problem with my updates "stopping." It has been going on days and I have submitted a case AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIX IT. Over and over I have to keep doing different things and now they have me going into my registries and messing with them and nothing is working. I think there is something wrong with this system suddenly and it is very frustrating. Has anyone been able to fix this issue yet?
Stephen Boots
Found this helpful 0

I am having the same problem with my updates "stopping." It has been going on days and I have submitted a case AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIX IT. Over and over I have to keep doing different things and now they have me going into my registries and messing with them and nothing is working. I think there is something wrong with this system suddenly and it is very frustrating. Has anyone been able to fix this issue yet?

Have you tried a reinstall of MSE?

Do other Windows Updates work?

-steve

^_^
Snowdonia Cottage Breaks
Found this helpful 1
Snowdonia Cottage Breaks replied on

Check your computer's calendar, (Click the clock at bottom right hand corner) . When I checked updates log I found that I was somehow one month ahead? Changed the date to what it should be. Worked for me-good luck :  )