Harry Waldron
Had this question 2
Question
Harry Waldron asked on
MVP

MSE - Are there any Dial-up Considerations?

Hi - At home, I have PCs that are connected to high-speed DSL as well as 56KB dial-up only.  The initial download is a small footprint and it's my understanding that MSE will expand significantly as it populates the A/V signature files over time. 

As one of my test PCs is dialup only, I though about letting it run unattended to backload A/V signature files for several hours.

Are there any special considerations for using the product in dial-in mode?  Or is it recommended that I test in a DSL broadband environment?
Harry Waldron, Microsoft MVP - Enterprise Security
Kevin Hau
Found this helpful 2
Answer
Kevin Hau replied on
Microsoft Forum Moderator
The only concern with Dial Up is the occasional large signature download size, which can sometimes be up to 25mb in size (if it's an engine update).

Usually you get delta updates that are much smaller, but every now and then is a big engine update which can take a while to download.

The signatures for MSE are already up to date, as it uses the same signature set as OneCare and Microsoft Forefront, so we don't have to wait for it to populate over time.

I hope this helps.

If you find that my answer was what you were looking for, please remember to click the "mark as answered" box below! Thanks, Kevin
I'm a PC!
Harry Waldron
Found this helpful 0
Harry Waldron replied on
MVP

Thanks Kevin for an informative reply :-)  After uninstalling my current A/V product, I'll try it out on my less critical dial-up system first.

Harry Waldron
Found this helpful 0
Harry Waldron replied on
MVP

As a final note,

1. Downloaded MSE client from DSL based PC
2. Downloaded the Manual A/V signatures also  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971606
3. Copied both files to target PC (using USB flash drive)
4. Uninstalled prior AV product and rebooted
5. Installed MSE and rebooted to test A/V startup
6. Installed Manual AV Updates downloaded earlier

I updated this older PC without even needing to connect to the Internet and it's scanning away now.

Dan Wolff
Found this helpful 1
Dan Wolff replied on

Note that as the updates use the normal Microsoft update process, it also uses BITS - which handles disconnections from the internet during the download process, and then continues from where it left off on the next connection.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa362708(VS.85).aspx

Dan Wolff - Microsoft Malware Protection Center, Tokyo
Dan Wolff - Microsoft Malware Protection Center, Tokyo