KS Green Machine
Had this question 1
Question
KS Green Machine asked on

I can't install MSE, I always get error code 0.8007064C.

I have two computers running Windows XP and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).  One is running XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 and the other is running XP Media Center Edition with Service Pack 3.  A couple of days ago I noticed that the MSE on the one with XP Home wasn't working.  I tried to update it but it wouldn't let me.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but every time I try to install it, it can't find epp.msi and when I get tired of looking for it and cancel the install, I get the following error code: 0.8007064C.  I've tried everything on the FAQ section, MSE installation checklist, and I've even tried the security application detection/removal tool from www.appremover.com/  and Revo Unistaller but I still can't reinstall MSE.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Le Boule
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Le Boule replied on

I have two computers running Windows XP and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).  One is running XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 and the other is running XP Media Center Edition with Service Pack 3.  A couple of days ago I noticed that the MSE on the one with XP Home wasn't working.  I tried to update it but it wouldn't let me.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but every time I try to install it, it can't find epp.msi and when I get tired of looking for it and cancel the install, I get the following error code: 0.8007064C.  I've tried everything on the FAQ section, MSE installation checklist, and I've even tried the security application detection/removal tool from www.appremover.com/  and Revo Unistaller but I still can't reinstall MSE.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I think this thread addresses your issue: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/microsoft-se-error-0x8004ff83-during/1f3b00c8-c98f-4eef-a05d-b8bf3f6d52a0

Good luck...

MVP Consumer Security - 2014