gspurs
Had this question 37
Question
gspurs asked on

Event ID 72 error after installing MSE

Hello,

After installing MSE version 2.1.1116.0 i'm getting this error in event log...

Log Name:      Application
Source:        SideBySide
Date:          30/06/2011 12:58:36 AM
Event ID:      72
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      PC
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\microsoft security client\MSESysprep.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files\microsoft security client\MSESysprep.dll" on line 10. The element imaging appears as a child of element urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1^assembly which is not supported by this version of Windows.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="SideBySide" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49409">72</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-06-29T23:58:36.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>6724</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>imaging</Data>
    <Data>urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1^assembly</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>c:\program files\microsoft security client\MSESysprep.dll</Data>
    <Data>c:\program files\microsoft security client\MSESysprep.dll</Data>
    <Data>10</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Is this a problem? and how do I fix it. I'm using Windows 7 x64. Thanks.

Jeff Toole
Found this helpful 11
Answer
Jeff Toole replied on
Microsoft

It looks like there was a problem with the SXS manifest for this binary.  This manifest is used when multiple versions of a binary need to be referenced.  Since this shouldn't occur with MSE, I don't think this will be an issue. 

Are you able to open the MSE UI and start a scan?  If so, you can ignore this error.  In the meantime, I will take a look and see if I can reproduce the manifest error.

Jeff Toole - Microsoft Antimalware - This post is provided as-is with no warranty or support.

Microsoft Antimalware - This post is provided as-is with no warranty or support.
Stephen Boots
Found this helpful 3
Answer

What operating system and service pack?

Prior Security Software?

Any security software still installed?

A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC.

You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/407bf6da-c05d-4546-8788-0aa4c25a1f91

Be sure to review this post: Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials (also found here: http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/89.aspx)

If that fails to resolve the problem, open an email support case:

To open an email support case, start here:

https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

-steve

^_^
MVP Consumer Security, Moderator Microsoft Community
Jeff Toole
Found this helpful 11
Answer
Jeff Toole replied on
Microsoft

It looks like there was a problem with the SXS manifest for this binary.  This manifest is used when multiple versions of a binary need to be referenced.  Since this shouldn't occur with MSE, I don't think this will be an issue. 

Are you able to open the MSE UI and start a scan?  If so, you can ignore this error.  In the meantime, I will take a look and see if I can reproduce the manifest error.

Jeff Toole - Microsoft Antimalware - This post is provided as-is with no warranty or support.

Microsoft Antimalware - This post is provided as-is with no warranty or support.
Stephen Boots
Found this helpful 3
Answer

What operating system and service pack?

Prior Security Software?

Any security software still installed?

A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC.

You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/407bf6da-c05d-4546-8788-0aa4c25a1f91

Be sure to review this post: Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials (also found here: http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/89.aspx)

If that fails to resolve the problem, open an email support case:

To open an email support case, start here:

https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

-steve

^_^
gspurs
Found this helpful 0
gspurs replied on

Yes i'm still able to perform a scan.

I seem to be getting the error once a day.  Possibly at some point when computer is idle. It never happened with the previous version of MSE.
gspurs
Found this helpful 0
gspurs replied on

I'm using Windows 7 home premium SP1 64bit. MSE version 2.1.1116.0

The only security software ever installed on the system was the previous version of MSE (version 2.0.657.0)

I uninstalled the older MSE via control panel before installling this version. I guess i'll try the manual unistall method then reinstall again to see if it makes a difference.

As long as this error doesn't affect the programs operation I suppose it's no big deal. thanks for the links.
Found this helpful 0

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1.
I, too, am getting this error on a daily basis, though the times are random (as far as I can tell).
MSE was upgraded 6/28/11, and appears to function normally. Daily scans happen at the scheduled time and quick scans seem to work just fine. Definition updates work just fine, as well.  The errors started to appear 6/29/2011 12:30:26 AM.
Coincidently, CCleaner was updated on 6/27/11. I note this because CCleaner now cleanses the result files for MSE. Maybe this version of MSE doesn't like that? Doubtful, but who knows?

I read a similar MS tech post (SxS error 72) about Moviemaker that said the application tried to load a 64-bit version of the DLL, which didn’t exist, but loaded, instead, the 32-bit version of the DLL.  I’m pretty sure I loaded the 64-bit version of MSE and not the 32-bit version, so it would seem that the proper 64-bit version of the DLL in question (MSESysprep.dll) should be fine.  However, no corresponding DLL is listed in SxS:

C:\>dir MSESysprep.dll /s

Volume in drive C is Here

Volume Serial Number is 16CF-9D73

Directory of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client

06/15/2011  02:35 PM            46,736 MSESysprep.dll
               1 File(s)         46,736 bytes

Total Files Listed:
               1 File(s)         46,736 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  205,486,923,776 bytes free
C:\>

From the MSSecurityClient_Setup_epp_Upgrade.log:
MSI (s) (74:64) [09:12:47:158]: Product: Microsoft Security Client -- Installation completed successfully.
MSI (s) (74:64) [09:12:47:158]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft Security Client. Product Version: 2.1.1116.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0.
MSI (s) (74:64) [09:12:47:158]: Deferring clean up of packages/files, if any exist
MSI (s) (74:64) [09:12:47:158]: MainEngineThread is returning 0
MSI (s) (74:F8) [09:12:47:158]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.
=== Logging stopped: 6/28/2011  9:12:47 ===
MSI (s) (74:F8) [09:12:47:158]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (74:F8) [09:12:47:158]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (74:F8) [09:12:47:158]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (s) (74:F8) [09:12:47:158]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (74:F8) [09:12:47:158]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (74:F8) [09:12:47:158]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (s) (74:F8) [09:12:47:158]: Post-install cleanup: removing installer file 'C:\Windows\Installer\c7a23.msi'
MSI (s) (74:F8) [09:12:47:158]: Restoring environment variables
MSI (s) (74:F8) [09:12:47:158]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (s) (74:A8) [09:12:47:158]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
MSI (c) (04:38) [09:12:47:174]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (04:38) [09:12:47:174]: MainEngineThread is returning 0
=== Verbose logging stopped: 6/28/2011  9:12:47 ===

I guess the question is: what is being called from SxS?

Le Boule
Found this helpful 0
Le Boule replied on

Perhaps you are right - maybe it does have something to do with CCleaner - their recent update is causing a few problems: 

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32981

The Forum Moderators will look into this further but it may take a bit - holiday weekend and all that.  Or one of our other posters might have some ideas on this anomaly so you might check this thread for further activity.

Regards...

MVP Consumer Security - 2014
Found this helpful 0

Thanks for replying, Le Boule.  I did check that thread,  It would seem, on the face of it, that the problems most people are having with CCleaner seem to have to do with MSE *forgetting* is has done scans. 

I should note that I use CCleaner several times a day and the Event Log error is only generated once a day.  The error does not seem to be tied to the use of CCleaner.   MSE, on my system, hasn't *yet* forgotten it has done its scans.

The other thing that has occurred to me is that I use EMET 2.1 (and before that: 2.0.0.3).  Even though I don't use EMET for MSE, it may be that the two are related in some way.  In fact, I should consider asking the EMET team if it is a good idea to put MSE under EMET's mitigations.
Found this helpful 1
6205 replied on

This issue cannot be caused by CCleaner. No chance.
j morlan
Found this helpful 0
j morlan replied on

I am also seeing this error in Event Viewer.  It started on July 2nd and I've continued to see it daily.   Using Win7 32 bit.

I have not yet seen a resolution posted in this thread.

Is there a fix? 

Thanks.
Stephen Boots
Found this helpful 0

I am also seeing this error in Event Viewer.  It started on July 2nd and I've continued to see it daily.   Using Win7 32 bit.

I have not yet seen a resolution posted in this thread.

Is there a fix? 

Thanks.

I can't give you an answer and that's why the thread remains as a question.

My advice, however, is to ignore it. The Event Viewer is a great tool to troubleshoot issues. If you are not experiencing an issue, take Jeff's advice from the 30th -- he's from Microsoft.

-steve

^_^
Previous Previous Page of 12 Next Next