postmaster - failure

Hi,

I'm getting a postmaster failure on hotmail/outlook.com when trying to send an email to someone I've been emailing for years and never had a problem with. I've checked and I can email them from other email addresses just not hotmail. Any ideas who I can contact, cannot find any ways to get in touch with hotmail/outlook or anything else I can check. 

Thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

For us to investigate the issue, please answer the questions below:

- What is the exact error or bounce message do you get when sending an email?
- Are you trying to send an email with attachment?
- When did the issue occur?

Thanks!

117 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Sorry I had to wait for this to occur again, it happens intermittently. 

Exact message is:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

emma@<domain>.co.uk
obviously I've edited the reply without the recipients email.
No attachement and the issue is happening now via outlook.com but not via other email addresses I have. 

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi DanDavis313,

To help facilitate our action and provide you proper resolution, please provide us the complete message header of the bounce message that you have received. Please post it here so we can tell why you were getting that message.  To do so, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the e-mail message.

2. Click the Actions dropdown menu on the upper-right corner.

3. Choose the View message source option on the dropdown menu. You will be seeing a new window containing the e-mail message headers and its content.

Kindly give the following:

• Final-Recipient:

• Action:

• Diagnostic-Code:

For more information, please visit the link below:

How do I interpret the delivery failure message that I have received?

Your patience is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi please see below, I have again edited the final recipient.

Note: Removed information for security reason

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi DanDavis313,

Here are the possible causes of your issue:

- There is no route for the specified address space.

- DNS returned an authoritative host that was not found for the domain.

- The routing group does not have a connector defined. Therefore, mail from one server in one routing group does not have a route to another routing group.

- An SMTP (protocol for sending messages) error occurred.

For the troubleshooting steps, please check out this steps:

Troubleshooting:

1. Correct the address space, or add an address space that has a type of "SMTP" and a value of "*" (asterisk) to one or more SMTP connectors.

2. Verify that DNS is working correctly.

3. Make sure that the routing groups have connectors that connect them.

4. If you are running Exchange 2000 without Service Pack 1, apply Service Pack 1 to help determine the actual problem.

For more information about bounce messages, please review this article.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm suprised at this response as it doesn't help at all.

Can you please explain further? 

1.  I don't know what you mean by add a "*" to smtp connectors as I'm not using a SMTP connector, I'm using outlook.com to send to another domain. The far end that I'm trying to send to I can email from a couple of other accounts.

2. Verify DNS is working - DNS is definitely working.

3. routing groups have connectors that connect them.... - again no routing groups or connectors. I am just using outlook.com

4. I'm not running exchange, I'm still using outlook.com.

Can you please help with this issue as the only thing I can see it being is windows live/outlook.com itself.

Many thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I guess thats it for support then. I'm so disappointed with Outlook.com, some good ideas but so basic major flaws as well and no way of getting any support. Been using hotmail for about 13 years but I guess its time like the millions of others to go to gmail or something good.

Thanks for the support.......

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I'm sorry for what's happened. I'd like to try and help. It is possible that is a Generic protocol error (SMTP error). The remote SMTP responds to our EHLO by generating a 500 level error, and the sending system ends the connection and reports this NDR error. This indicates that the remote SMTP server cannot handle the protocol. (For example, if a Hotmail account is no longer active, a 550 SMTP error occurs.)

Run an SMTP log or a Network Monitor trace to determine why the remote SMTP server rejected the protocol request.

Relaying occurs when an e-mail message is sent to an e-mail address whose domain (the name after the @ symbol, such as adatum.com) is not processed by the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP): A common protocol that is used to send e-mail messages across the Internet.)or outgoing server that the sender is requesting to deliver the message. The SMTP server must connect to another SMTP server to relay the message.

The exact error message might vary, depending on your Internet service provider (ISP): A business that provides access to the Internet for such things as electronic mail, chat rooms, or use of the World Wide Web. Some ISPs are multinational, offering access in many locations, while others are limited to a specific region.). Some ISPs might not return an error message when they detect outgoing messages as unsolicited commercial e-mail. In such cases, your message might appear to be sent normally — it leaves the Outlook Outbox and appears in Sent Items — but it is never actually delivered to the recipient.

Your message was rejected because the SMTP (outgoing) e-mail server did not recognize you as an authorized user.

SMTP is the protocol — standards that computers use to communicate with each other — that most e-mail servers use to send e-mail messages across the Internet. When you use an e-mail program, such as Outlook, that lets you store your e-mail messages on your computer, you need access to an SMTP server to send e-mail messages.

Note   Web e-mail systems similar to MSN, Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail are used differently, and this article does not apply to those e-mail accounts.

For more information about your issue, please refer to the links below:

Delivery status notifications in Exchange Server and in Small Business Server

Troubleshoot 550, 553, and relay-prohibited errors

Thank you!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I feel like I'm repeating myself constantly. Firstly lets be clear of the issue.

1. I send an email from outlook.com using a hotmail email account.

2. The email doesn't send and I get the postmaster failure as per my original post above.

3. I then go to another email account - my work one which I access using outlook 2003 and send to the same person as I did in step 1 and it goes through fine. (the other party is on a different domain) and not part of my organisation.

4. go back to outlook.com and try and send again via my hotmail account and get a failure again.

5. leave it 5-10 maybe longer sometimes and try to send again via outlook.com and it works.

How do you expect me to run a SMTP log or network monitor trace on outlook.com?

Why would the problem only affect outlook.com / hotmail.com if there was a problem else where.

You have to READ what I have previously posted. I'm not the only person experiencing issues like this. I read all of your posts very carefully until I reached the part that says: "Note Web e-mail systems similar to MSN, Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail are used differently, and this article does not apply to those e-mail accounts." So what is the point in posting this answer, that is another 15 minutes of my life I'm never getting back........

Please can you find someone with the right analytical skills to help with this problem.

Thanks.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi DanDavis313,

We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused you. But for us to help you with your concern, please provide us more information:

• Does the issue happen when you're using a different computer?
  • Does the issue happen when you're using a different browser?
  • When you're trying to send email to Hotmail/Outlook.com email address, have you encountered any error? If yes, kindly provide us the exact error message.

Since you have received a postmaster failure upon sending email, please provide us the complete bounce message you have received for us to make further investigation on your issue. Please post it to the private message we have provided you. Please click the notification states “You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private message” section or by clicking the “Private Messages” tab above the first post.

In addition to that, we also provided you articles below why emails get rejected upon sending:

Why are the emails sent to Hotmail rejected for policy reasons?

Errors when you try to send an email message

Delivery status notifications in Exchange Server

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 28,046 Applies to: