adjust width of columns in inbox

I cannot seem to figure out how to adjust the width of the columns in the inbox.  For example, if I wanted the sender column wider.  Can you help?

Hi Jayni44,

I can see that you wish to adjust or move the column in the mailbox.

Let me see how I can help.

I've simulated this and here's what I advise you to do. Please change your Reading pane setting. Selecting either right or bottom can adjust the column of the mailbox/inbox. I have the steps below to do this.

1. Sign in to the Windows Live Hotmail website with your Windows Live Hotmail account.
2. In the upper-right corner of the page, click Options.
3. Under Reading pane settings, select Right, Bottom, or Off.

Thanks!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That is an interesting solution, but it appears to me that Microsoft has purposefully squeezed the page with their ads so that the only way to get a readable subject column is to upgrade and pay for no ads. That's too bad as there are many other email options on the internet - all of which run faster and more efficiently than Outlook. Microsoft brought the slow-down-everything-plodding-slowly-forward from our computers right into the cloud.

You can't assume everyone has a huge screen and a gaming computer! I'll gladly work in the cloud but only when it is a good use of my time.

Honestly I was thrilled when I started using Outlook online but I sometimes have to wait several minutes to get an email opened. I've used MS Office professionally since the late 80's but Outlook continues to be an enterprise only application.  Home computers don't normally have the power to use Outlook efficiently. Silly me. I assumed they would streamline it for the cloud. But no such luck. Now, with the inability to adjust columns so they are readable, I'm pretty much through being excited with Outlook online. And, it doesn't give me a lot of incentive to try 365.

On the other hand, I do appreciate the ability to set up rules and the robust filing ability that Outlook gives me. That has yet to be matched (to my knowledge - correct me if I'm wrong) by other cloud email applications.

I will keep my eyes open to see if Microsoft streamlines Outlook to be more efficient in the cloud for everyone's use, not just big business.

Warmly,

Susan Daniels
Salem, Oregon

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi SusanDaniels3,

We apologize for the delayed response.

I am glad to assist you with your concern regarding being unable to adjust the columns on your Inbox.

Please be informed that it is by design that banner advertisements will appear on the right side of your screen since you're a free Microsoft account user. Adjusting the size of your screen is currently not available. However, you may send your suggestion to our feedback page.

Regarding your concern about viewing your emails taking too long, I recommend that you clear your browser's cache and temporary internet files to make sure that they are not causing your issue. This is often caused by a corrupted file in the browser. Please clear your browser's cookies by following the instructions on the link below:

How to Clear Your Browser's Cache

Don’t hesitate to update this thread if you have further questions.

Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2024 Views 4,704 Applies to: