Mac Mail no longer getting Hotmail

Mac Mail stopped receiving hotmail. Microsoft doesn't seem to address this issue. My setting were pop3.live.com, smtp.live.com:my email but I changed them to the current settings imap-mail.outlook.com, etc. It isn't working. Paul suggested using http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VczRj6UHPMs but it doesn't show how to change an existing hotmail account.

I have used the Connection Doctor on my Mac and when I changed back to the pop service, the smtp server works but not the incoming. 
Microsoft, when are you going to fix this?

This seems counter to what everyone says, that I should switch to IMAP but the smtp.live.com works.
I have actually sent out email from Mac Mail through Hotmail but I can't receive. 
Answer
Answer
E

Your port is wrong on POP.  Outlook.com accepts POP on ports 995, yours is set to 110.  Settings are below.

Should you decide to change to IMAP you need to disable POP in your settings or it wont work

If you’d like to manage your Outlook account using an email app, you’ll need to set up your POP3 or SMTP server and port settings in your email app. You’ll need the following info:

POP3 server: pop3.live.com (port 995)
    SMTP server: smtp.live.com (port 25)

If port 25 has been blocked in your network or by your ISP, you can set the SMTP port to 587 with TLS or SSL Encryption (depending on which email app you're us

Choose the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) option for both POP3 and SMTP connections.
Choose the SMTP authentication for SMTP connections.
Choose the outgoing server requires authentication option. (In most email apps, this option isn't checked by default.)

User name: Enter your full email address.
    Password: Enter your Microsoft account password.
    If you don’t want email messages to be permanently deleted from your inbox after you download them to your mail program, select the Leave a copy of messages on the server option.

Prevent losing email in Outlook.com when you've set up POP3

Outlook.com has a feature that prevents losing email messages if you accidentally set up POP3 to delete them after reading them on the server. Here’s how it works:

The first time that Outlook.com receives a POP3 instruction to delete email messages after reading from an email app, Outlook.com won't delete the messages. Instead, Outlook.com moves the email messages that were successfully downloaded by the email app into a POP folder and out of the inbox. The POP folder is available in the Folders list.

Outlook.com keeps the email messages in the POP folder until you sign in to your Outlook.com account and verify whether Outlook.com should respect or ignore the POP3 delete command.

To verify your POP3 settings:

In the upper-right of the Outlook.com window, click Options, and then click More options.
    Under Managing Your Account, click Pop and deleting downloaded messages, and then select one of the following:

Don’t let another program delete messages from Outlook.com. (If your other program is set to delete messages from the server, we’ll simply move them to a special POP folder. They won’t be deleted.)

Do what my other program says—if it says to delete messages, then delete them.

Click Save.

FOR IMAP

Outlook.com does support IMAP and SMTP.

Incoming server:

IMAP: imap-mail.outlook.com
Port: 993
Encrypted Connection: SSL

Outgoing server:

SMTP: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 25 or 587
Encrypted Connection: TLS

Username: Your Username
Password: Your Password

This won't work on mac os x mail unless you disable pop in your outlook.com account first. If you have mac os x mail, and you don't disable pop in your outlook.com account first, mail will automatically setup pop and smtp.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 35,308 Applies to: