Quikky
Had this question 7
Question
Quikky asked on

Skydrive application sync is creating multiple copies of files

I have installed the SkyDrive application, and have moved my photos folder into c:\skydrive in order to sync between two PCs and the cloud, having successfully used Live Mesh in the past. However the SkyDrive app appears to be making multiple copies of each file, and appending the computer name to that file.

So for example I have PC1 and PC2, syncing the photos folder to SkyDrive. If the photo folder contains a file called IMG001.jpg, I end up with this:

on PC1:
IMG001.jpg
IMG001_PC1.jpg

on PC2:
IMG001.jpg
IMG001_PC2.jpg

on SkyDrive:
IMG001.jpg
IMG001_PC1.jpg
IMG001_PC2.jpg

The syncing clearly isn't working, hence the duplicates. Is there any way of correcting this?

CHeers
Justin.H
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Justin.H replied on
Microsoft Forum Moderator

Thanks for the detailed summary! Also a great bug find :D

I believe I know what the problem is here. When you upload a file to SkyDrive through Photo Gallery, something got changed in the file data.

When we tried to sync your files, we found a name conflict and renamed the local files to reflect your computer name, in an attempt to save any data that may have changed. Since both computer's did this separately, we created a file for each in addition to the one you had in your SkyDrive.

So in summary:

1) Syncing via Mesh, SkyDrive Client, or SkyDrive.com will all detect the same files and sync without duplicates.
2) You should be able to pre-seed your files to your machines using either of those.
3) Uploading the same files to SkyDrive through Photo Gallery changes the modification date, and will lead to duplication.

Thanks for reporting this issue, we'll take a look and talk to the Photo Gallery team to see if there is a fix.

-Justin
SkyDrive Team
Justin.H
Found this helpful 1
Justin.H replied on
Hi,

You mention that you were using Mesh previously. Were the files in question on both computers when you started syncing with the SkyDrive?

If you had the files on both computers, then what is likely happening is they have different data (such as modified/accessed time) that indicated the files are different. If you have different files with the same name, that are put into the same folder on different devices... the syncing will have to handle it without data loss.

The duplication would then be an unintended consequence of uploading the 'same' files on different devices.

To get around this, when syncing files for the first time, it would be better to sync them from one device and let SkyDrive handle bringing them to your other device, than to put a copy into SkyDrive manually on both your devices.

If, however, you did not put the files into your SkyDrive folder on each device separately, let me know and we will follow up more on this issue.

Thanks for using SkyDrive!
-Justin
SkyDrive Team
Quikky
Found this helpful 0
Quikky replied on

Thanks for the reply Justin, although that seems a bizarre way of performing the initial sync with Skydrive - if I have two machines that I want to sync files with, I have to remove all the files from one of the computers to start with, even if the files are identical (accessed times notwithstanding), and if they were already synced using Mesh. It might be an idea to add this information to the "Skydrive for Mesh users" page.

Cheers
Justin.H
Found this helpful 0
Justin.H replied on

If the files are indeed the same, we should not duplicate them.

Can you verify if the two sets of files have the same modification date and file size?

You should be able to find these in the details view of windows explorer, and/or under their properties.

If they do match, and you are willing to help us figure out this issue, let me know and I will have a Forum Moderator contact you about getting your SkyDrive logs.

Thanks!

SkyDrive Team
Quikky
Found this helpful 0
Quikky replied on

I've since been through and erased the duplicates that were created as part of the syncing, however the sync operation is still ongoing (36 hours later, whereas Mesh was finshed syncing in a couple of hours).

Can you tell me if a file is simply accessed if that requires a resync to Skydrive? That would be a fairly painful hit on my bandwidth when considering the amount of pictures that are accessed on any given day.

I would be very interested in getting my SkyDrive logs if at all possible - how do I go about doing that?

Cheers
Justin.H
Found this helpful 1
Justin.H replied on

Interesting.. can you tell if it is making progress? The system tray should show how much has been uploaded/downloaded.

Simply accessing a file does not require a resync, only actions that modify the file will cause it to do that.

Are you syncing the same files using both Mesh and SkyDrive? That may potentially change the way the files are syncing, the logs would know more.

You can find the SkyDrive logs at %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\SkyDrive\logs

I can't guarantee they'll be very readable :)

If you notice something out of the ordinary or are still having trouble syncing, let me know and I will see if a forum moderator can request the logs from you. We can then take a closer look.

SkyDrive Team
Quikky
Found this helpful 0
Quikky replied on

Yes, it's definitely making progress albeit very slow but, I reckon I might know the reason why. 

I'm not currently running Windows Live Mesh, only the SkyDrive desktop application for syncing now.

My previous routine was to use Windows Live Mesh to sync between two PCs at home on the same network. I would then also use Windows Live Photo Gallery to manually upload my pictures to SkyDrive. So all my photos would be synced on the two computers, and a copy of them would also be available on SkyDrive (the SkyDrive version would not be synced though, obviously).

I'm sure I read previously that Windows Live Mesh would determine on the fly if two machines were on the same local network, and transfer files locally rather than sending them via the cloud.

What I'm assuming is happening in my case (if we ignore the duplicates that were created initially) is that the SkyDrive application must upload every image to SkyDrive (website), replacing all the images already on there because the modification date is likely different (although the images, their names and location are the "same").

Previously, Mesh would simply check that the computers were on the same LAN and sync any changes locally. Since the SkyDrive application now syncs with the cloud and with the PCs, I'm assuming this functionality is redundant, so syncing will take much longer as all changes have to be replicated up and down from SkyDrive.

If the assumptions above are correct, then that explains the speed of the initial sync. The file duplication I was experiencing to begin with has not returned after I deleted all the duplicate instances on both machines, but I wasn't expecting that after they had been synced with Mesh - i.e. Mesh was happy that the files were "the same". In case it helps any other users, the circumstances that caused the duplication in my case was:

1. Sync "Pictures" folder across two PCs on same network using Windows live Mesh.
2. Manually upload all subfolders in "Pictures" to SkyDrive via Windows Live Photo Gallery.
3. Uninstall Live Mesh from both PCs.
4. Install SkyDrive desktop app to PC1.
5. Move "Pictures" folder to user\SkyDrive folder on PC1 to begin sync.
6. Install SkyDrive desktop app to PC2.
7. Move "Pictures" folder to user\SkyDrive folder on PC2 to begin sync.
8. Duplicates of all files in Pictures subfolders begin appearing on both PCs, and subsequently uploaded to SkyDrive cloud. The files the form IMG001_PC1.jpg or IMG001_PC2.jpg, etc.

Cheers
Justin.H
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Justin.H replied on

Thanks for the detailed summary! Also a great bug find :D

I believe I know what the problem is here. When you upload a file to SkyDrive through Photo Gallery, something got changed in the file data.

When we tried to sync your files, we found a name conflict and renamed the local files to reflect your computer name, in an attempt to save any data that may have changed. Since both computer's did this separately, we created a file for each in addition to the one you had in your SkyDrive.

So in summary:

1) Syncing via Mesh, SkyDrive Client, or SkyDrive.com will all detect the same files and sync without duplicates.
2) You should be able to pre-seed your files to your machines using either of those.
3) Uploading the same files to SkyDrive through Photo Gallery changes the modification date, and will lead to duplication.

Thanks for reporting this issue, we'll take a look and talk to the Photo Gallery team to see if there is a fix.

-Justin
SkyDrive Team
Quikky
Found this helpful 0
Quikky replied on

Cheers Justin
Joe Brockhaus
Found this helpful 0
Joe Brockhaus replied on

I think I just ran into this issue with a Visual Studio web project. Was getting errors when running the site indicating a manifest was mismatched with the dll. I kept deleting the compiled dlls and recompiling and eventually they should show up again. I thought this was a VS/project properties problem but it seems like the culprit might be SkyDrive making duplicates of files to preserve mutual edits somehow?

Deleting the /bin/ folder contents in explorer and waiting for SkyDrive to finish syncing before recompiling solved this problem for me.

Justin.H
Found this helpful 0
Justin.H replied on

Interesting... Is your project stored in your SkyDrive, and hence the build location is also in your SkyDrive?

I can see where that could be an issue if you're making changes on multiple computers and they have not been fully synced. If you look in the BIN folder, do you see your computer name appended to the files?

Also, how are you running the website? Are you launching it through Visual Studio? If so, it will compile each time you try to launch the page.

SkyDrive would have to be fully synced before you build, otherwise if a file is already created with the same name and is currently in use, it should show up as in use during compiling. If you have a file in use, then you won't be able to overwrite it.

One option I can think of for now would be to point your project to a build folder outside of SkyDrive, since it's already changing frequently and in theory don't really need to sync it. (Though in the project settings be sure to choose a path that would be valid on all the machines you compile on).

The other, like you said, would be to delete the DLLs, in which case you could then recreate them safely when you build.

-Justin
SkyDrive Team
Previous Previous Page of 3 Next Next