Sharepoint 2010 co-authoring in word web app (co-authoring in general with some users in word 2007)

So it seems that when using sharepoint 2010 you're unable to co-author documents in the word web app. Which basically is the whole reason we're using sharepoint on this project. We have users all over the country that are part of the same project that have varying access rights. Some users will need to modify the same document while others will not be allowed to see said document. The issue is that some of our users are using word 2007 which doesn't support co-authoring so the next logical step seemed to be using the web app. 

All this aside it seems skydrive works for co-authoring in the web app. The rope is that skydrive will require me to send invitations out to everyone for all the documents that I need to have co-authoring on. Otherwise I have to use a "open" link which anyone could theoretical access. We're trying to keep things contained within sharepoint is what I'm trying to get at. If there was a way to have sharepoint point to the document on skydrive but still maintain the same permissions as were setup in sharepoint that would be ideal.

I'm hoping this is enough information for someone to understand the problem that I'm having. 

Is there any workaround for this?
-FlipFlop

Hi,

Since your issue involves, co-authoring of SharePoint in Word web app, your query will be best addressed in SharePoint forum mentioned below:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/home?forum=sharepointgeneralprevious

Hope the link provided is helpful to you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Aravinda,

Not certain I understand what you mean. Did you mean that I should research my solution on the link you provided? Or did you mean you were reposting my query at the link provided?

Regards,
-FlipFlop

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

As this issue is related to SharePoint, you need to post the query in the SharePoint forum link as provided by ‘Aravinda’ for better assistance as this forum supports Office 2010 applications in a consumer level entry.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/home?forum=sharepointgeneralprevious

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 206 Applies to: