Old Versions of Word

I've come across a lot of Users who still cling to old versions of Word. I paid about 300 bucks for Office 95, and still use it with XP and have 95 Word on both Win 7 pcs. The Office other parts, Excel, etc. I wouldn't load in Win 7, as they don't work properly [my newer pc got Display problems with Office on the Desktop] and there are plenty of compatible freeware office suites.

I received a basic Office 2003 disk with an earlier, 32-bit Win 7 HP pc, and got the ready-installed Word 2010 with newer machines. I don't like being nagged at to buy or Upgrade, so I keep these newer progs in case I want to improve a 95 document with the increased font colours, etc.

There some important features missing when we Install this old Word version: Help, which installing Windows6.1-KB917607-x86.msu or Windows6.1-KB917607-x64.msu on Win 7 will facilitate, and PF7 generated Spell/Thesaurus.

Now, I don't know if anyone knows a better way to do this: but I looked for the file 95 said was missing when PF7 was pressed, mssp32.dll. I didn't have a clue where it would be in Win XP, so went searching. It was in C:\Program Files\Common Files|Microsoft Shared\Proof.

Win 7's PROOF seemed to have the same files, same size, different dates, but, maybe, they weren't going to work with 95. I copied them in, allowing 7 to Rename them (2).

So, it's all working now. Well, at least I'm still using MICROSOFT products in the main.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

1) An Office version supplied with a PC is likely an OEM version, and cannot therefore be installed on another replacement PC

2) Office 2010 supplied with a PC is likely to be a trial version, or at the very best an OEM version

You might as well use Libra Office, which is free

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks. I have LibreOffice and Open Office and ATLANTIS NOVA and ABIWORD, etc., but I don't like their Word Processor set-ups, like Customisation. MS Word is far more versatile. Anyway, I just wanted to show that old Word can be used with Win 7.

As a footnote, I couldn't find /PROOF on my older pc, except a hangover from re-installation of the O/S, sitting in Windows.old, so I copied it into the Common.. Shared, and old Word works fine.

Bus_Pass Generation

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,914 Applies to: