Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business

Hi,

Recently, my laptop shut down on its own.  I had put it on sleep mode for several hours.   When I restarted it, almost everything went awry.  I couldn't access the Internet.  I managed to get online again but I can't open all my Word documents and my photos.  Every time I try to  do so, the laptop tells me that it can't do so unless I insert a Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business disk.   I've never had this program and can't understand how my documents etc had been  converted to this format without my doing anything.

Advice to resolve my problem would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Vince

Your documents haven't been converted to any other format. What has happened is that the parts of the registry that tell Windows which program to use to open the documents has been scrambled.

Do you have some version of Office installed on the laptop? And maybe more importantly, do you have the installation disk and the 25-character product key for that Office version?

The first thing to try is to go to the Windows Control Panel and open Programs and Features. Locate the icon for the installed Office, click it and then click the Change button. In the dialog that opens, choose the Repair option and click Continue. The program may or may not prompt you to insert the disk -- that depends on how bad the damage is.

If no Office icon appears in Programs and Features, you'll have to use the disk and the product key to install Office.

For photos and other kinds of files that aren't Office documents, you'll have to do something similar for the programs that normally open those files.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, Jay,

Thanks very much for your prompt and most helpful email.

I did everything you asked me to but my problem still remains.  When I reached the Repair option, the dialog box for Continue failed to appear so I couldn't finish the operation.

I then checked my Word program and found it set to Office 2000 Small Business.  Other programs I checked are similarly set.  

Does this mean my laptop Registry is badly corrupted?

Would re-installing the operating system solve my problems?   I do have the CD. Unfortunately, I  have no experience of the procedures involved.

I apologize for bothering you again.   I hope you'll bear with me as I'm a 75-year old computer nerd from Borneo.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With Office 2000, it may not be necessary to click on the Change button and then on Repair as, if it is like Office 2003, you can go directly to Repair

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reinstalling the operating system is a drastic step that will wipe out all of the other programs -- Office and anything else that isn't part of Windows -- and will require you to reinstall those too. It should be considered the last thing to try, after all other attempts have failed.

Take the advice given by Doug Robbins, if possible.

What version of Office do you really have, if it is not Office 2000 Small Business?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, it is Office 2000 Small Business.

Thanks very much for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried what you suggested but it didn't work.   It kept on asking me to insert the Office 2000 Small Business disk.

Where can I download for free or buy this disk, please?

Thank you for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Googling for Download Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business turned up an Amazon link where there were a number new and used copies for sale.  Note however that support for Office 2000 ended quite a numberof years ago.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much for the information.

You and Jay have helped me tremendously.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 696 Applies to: