Compatibility pack to open .docx files

I have an old version of MS Word (don't know which one)   Two or three years ago I installed the Microsoft Compatibility pack to enable me to open doc.x documents.   It has suddenly stopped working.   When I try to open a doc.x I get the message "Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc".  A page of computer code then opens.  
I therefore went to http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=3 and downloaded another version of

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats.  Before installing I was instructed to remove the existing version of the Compatability Pack via Add/Remove which I did.   I then installed the new .exe file which I had downloaded.   When I try to open a doc.x file however, I am still getting that message "Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc". 

Can anybody help me please?

Try the FixIt button in the article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for that Jay.   The Fixit partly solves the problem.   If I try to open a doc.x document attached to an email directly from the email, as I usually do, it Now opens directly in Notepad in unreadable computer code symbols.   If however I save it in the appropriate documents folder,, I cannot access it via the normal documents link, which doesn't show doc.x documents in my folders - presumably because I'm using an older version of Word.   If however I access the Documents directory via My Computer, I can see the document and can open it.   Not ideal however, as this process is very time consuming and long winded, as all the doc.x files I receive, which are quite numerous, come attached to emails.   What I normally do with such files is open them, copy the contents into a new .doc and save.  

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you expand the Files of type drop down in the File>Open dialog in your version of Word, you should see a Word Documents (*.doc; *.doc*) option and if you select that, .docx files should be visible.

Failing that, you could use the All Files (*.*) option

If the files that you are receiving do actually have an .x extension (doc.x?), then you would have to use the All Files option.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Doug,

Thank you for this.   Yes of course, how stupid of me not to have thought of the All Files option. 

Have tried to vote for you and Jay as "found this helpful" but the button doesn't respond.   Sorry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,476 Applies to: