Can't access Word documents.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655D lasptop, about 4 years old. Windows Home Premium 6.1 7601. Service Pack 1. No longer have owners manuals.

Word and Word documents always opened automatically.  I believe the program was something other than Office, because recently a new icon mysteriously appeared beside my documents, which indicates Office, and they will not open.

I can open Word and type something, but once it is closed, it will not open again. Instead, a window opens up asking whether I want to activate, install or buy Office. I have no product key, and don't feel I should have to buy something when I already had a program that came with this computer.

When I click on "open with" nothing shows but Office and WordPad.

HOW CAN I RECOVER MY LOST PROGRAM?

System Restore has not helped.

Thank you SO MUCH for any help! 

Answer
Answer

I agree that a trial version wouldn't last four years. You wrote, "I believe the program was something other than Office," which led me to believe that you actually had been running some other program than Word.

Is it possible that you have more than version of Office installed and that one has been properly activated and the other one hasn't? If you look in Control Panel (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features), what do you see listed? 

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 110 Applies to: