Outlook meeting reminders and Communicator IM's do not appear on top of other programs.

Meeting reminders appear on the desktop, but not on the very top of other screens. Instant messages never appear on the desktop, only on the task bar. I selected the option "Always on top", but it had no effect.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

My testing has shown that simply closing the Reminders window (by clicking the x in the upper right corner) instead of minimizing it or leaving it open under other windows will cause it to pop up again for the next reminder. I'm posting this info in case there are people reading this thread don't realize that.

I know that it’s annoying when Microsoft makes an interface change that requires us to change our work habits, but unfortunately, that’s what they’ve done with the issue of Reminders not popping up over active Windows. Installing Deskpins may work, but I'm not going to install a freeware utilty on a Remote Desktop Server that supports 40 users, so instead I'll just have to try to get them to change their behavior.

If anyone has seen that Reminders, after being closed, do not pop back up, let me know because I haven't been able to reproduce that behavior.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Come on...just fix this.  I recently upgraded to 2010 and I am still MISSING MEETINGS!!!  Lync IMs give you a nice little pop up and flash in a manner that I can at least notice.  Outlook makes the icon slightly darker or brighter...or something...I dont know because I dont notice it.  I have to have the To do bar up and memorize when all my meetings are for the day.  I dont care that the reminder makes me lose focus because I have a meeting and ...oh yeah... its important that I attend. There are people at my company that actually have their phones set up to give them a reminder since they CANNOT RELY ON YOUR SOFTWARE ANY MORE!! 

Give us at least an option to make our own decision (something you should have done from the beginning) about the reminders.  Thanks! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With Windows 7 and Outlook 2007, reminders do _not_ pop up on top of other windows. I always close my reminders with the [Dismiss] button.

Using DeskPins (thanks for the suggestion!) works for me, the reminders popup to the top.

;ted

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was also very frustrated with this new reminder behavior, but I believe I found a potential solution.  Using the DeskPins application, a small piece of freeware that pins windows to the foreground, I set up an 'Autopin' assigment that automatically pins all reminder windows to the foreground.  Here are the steps I followed:

1. Close Outlook

2. Download and install DeskPins from http://users.forthnet.gr/pat/efotinis/programs/deskpins.html

3. Launch DeskPins

4. Right-click on the DeskPins icon in the taskbar tray and choose 'Options'

5. Click on the 'Autopin' tab

6. Click the 'Add' button

7. I entered 'Reminders' for the Description field, '* Reminder' for the Title field, and '#32770' for the Class field

8. Click on the 'OK' button

When I opened Outlook and set up an appointment with a reminder, the window was automatically 'pinned' to the foreground in front of all other open windows.

Works perferctly!

Microsoft guys, hear the cry of your customers...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with Outlook 2010 on Windows 7. I'm missing reminders. Can we have a more obvious and permanent visual reminder notification please?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is nice for whoever supplies DeskPins, but is there anyone else who thinks it is absolutely absurd that Microsoft released applications where you have to download and use a piece of freeware just to make it function somewhat adequately?  If I, or any of my programmers, released software with flaws that had this kind of effect on our customers and then didn't at least provide a fix to immediately resolve the problem...  well, I guess there would be another programmer out there for Microsoft, since apparently they don't have such high standards for software and customer satisfaction.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, but the answer is ridiculous.  The reason that I have reminders set up is because I WANT to be disturbed so I don't miss my meetings!  I also teach several classes in addition to administrative duties.  I will not be happy early next semester when I start some classes again if I miss classes because I missed seeing a little blinking light in the midst of my many open documents on two different monitors. 

Microsoft and Outlook: WE NEED YOU TO ALLOW REMINDER POPUPS TO SHOW UP ABOVE ALL WINDOWS!  At the very least, allow us the USER to choose that as an option!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

BTW,
I tried the deskpins solution, but received an error and it wouldn't install on my Windows7.  So I am unable to use even that workaround solution.  Grrrr......

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does this work with Windows7?  I went to the site, downloaded it, but received error when I tried to either extract or run deskpins.  So the workaround does not work for me.  Ugh.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The copy of deskpins130.zip I just downloaded from Mr. Fotini's site (http://users.forthnet.gr/pat/efotinis/programs/deskpins.html) matches one I grabbed a little over a year ago.  The old copy installs and starts up just fine on 64 bit Windows 7.

However, . . .autopin has quit working for me, even when I run DeskPins as administrator (is it working for anyone on Windows 7?).  I can only pin windows manually.  Which mostly defeats the purpose of running DeskPins.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 10, 2023 Views 15,954 Applies to: