Getting help and advice from one of the many experts here at Microsoft Community does not cost anything.
Whenever you receive a phone number as an answer and feel uncertain whether it is from someone at Microsoft, don’t take the risk,
confirm the number is for official Microsoft Support.
The steps stated in the Microsoft support site are useless. My software too (Office 2010 Professional Plus DVD) has the osetup.dll missing error. My problem is that I am unable to copy the 'troubled' software to the harddisk in order for me to move ahead
and do the other steps to replace the errant dll.
I am unable to copy contents from the DVD to the harddisk, because I get the error message "cannot copy.... cyclic redundancy check." There is no support available anywhere I checked, for this situation.
I purchased Office 2010 original DVD 5 months ago. I was able to install the DVD then. Due to problems related to add-ins which started crashing MS Word and MS Excel recently, Microsoft support asked me to uninstall the software and reinstall. I uninstalled
successfully. Now, I am unable to re-install. Now, even MS support is unable to help. They have (over phone) spent over 6 hours of my time in the last 3 days. They are struggling for solutions. The retailer who sold the DVD is asking me to contact Microsoft
for further instructions. I am stuck!
I know people who use pirated software without any such problems. I have always used legal software. Is this punishment for purchasing original software?
I finally figure out the fix. Ok first, you have to use Internet Explore to download properly. If you are using IE9 then you have to run it in compatibility mode back to IE8. Once you have done this, then go to the download page and and download office
2010 32bit version. I guess the guy at Microsoft said that the 64bit version was having some issues on 64bit operating systems (you can download either or though and they will both work). After that you should use the Microsoft download manager (you may need
to install java and active X). This is what fixed it for me and I hope it fixes it for you too. When I tried the first few times I was using firefox, it is important to follow the internet explore compatibility view steps. Hope this helps!
Additionally, I had to change the permissions on the folder I copied the files to. It was Administrators group owned, and my account is a member of this group, but I was unable to run the setup.exe file until I reset everything to be owned by my personal
local account. Hope it helps someone.