Onedrive for Business with Office 2016 Preview

Since I installed Office 2016 Preview my OneDrive for Business does not seem to be syncing to the web?  Is the OneDrive for Business app part of the preview installation?   

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

For better suggestion related to One-Drive for business, you may post your query in the link below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/home?category=sharepoint

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The forum OneDrive forum suggested above is for the OneDrive for Business 2013.  The Office 2016 Preview will not allow the OneDrive for Business app to install since it is an older version.  Is there a version released of OneDrive for Business that will be compatible with Office 2016 Preview and recognized by it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Bruce,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

As mentioned in my previous post for better suggestion related to One-Drive for business, you may post your query in SharePoint forum.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would love to hear from a knowledgeable Microsoft representative on this issue.  One thing I know for sure - there is no intrinsic incompatibility between Office 2016 preview and Onedrive for Business 2013.  Here is my experience - on a laptop and desktop PC I installed Office 2016 Preview, and then tried to install Onedrive for Business 2013. In both cases Onedrive for Business would not install, generating an error message indicating this version of Onedrive was not compatible with the new version of Office. On both machines I uninstalled Office 2016, installed Onedrive for Business 2013 and then installed Office 2016. In both cases the Office installation generated a message indicating that Onedrive for Business 2013 would be uninstalled. However, although Onedrive for Business 2013 did get uninstalled on my desktop PC, for some reason Onedrive for Business 2013 did not get uninstalled on the laptop.  On the laptop, both Office 2016 and Onedrive for Business 2013 works perfectly. My files in the Onedrive for Business 2013 cloud are kept in perfect synch with files on my laptop.

Thus, it appears that Microsoft has tried to disallow installation of Office 2016 and Onedrive for Business 2013on the same machine for reasons that have nothing to do with compatibility. The decision mystifies me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My understanding is that Microsoft will be merging OneDrive and OneDrive for Business into a unified OneDrive client.  This will happen near the end of 2015, probably with the release of Office 2016.  

It seems apparent that the current OneDrive in Windows 10 (as of Aug. 5, 2015) does not yet support OneDrive for Business.

More info here...

https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/microsoft-consumer-services/onedrive/3351/microsoft-to-deliver-unified-onedrive-desktop-sync-client-on-windows-pcs-and-macs

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My understanding is that Microsoft will be merging OneDrive and OneDrive for Business into a unified OneDrive client.  This will happen near the end of 2015, probably with the release of Office 2016.  

It seems apparent that the current OneDrive in Windows 10 (as of Aug. 5, 2015) does not yet support OneDrive for Business.

More info here...

https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/microsoft-consumer-services/onedrive/3351/microsoft-to-deliver-unified-onedrive-desktop-sync-client-on-windows-pcs-and-macs

Yes, that matches my understanding, which only deepens my puzzlement. Until the two clients are merged,  Onedrive and Onedrive for Business will both be required to access the variety of different kinds of Onedrive servers users are likely to employ, so it seems pointless that Microsoft has made it so difficult for users to install both clients.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2019 Views 579 Applies to: