Word for iPad Crashes on Edits

I am using Word for iPad on the latest iOS on my iPad 4. I have numerous documents originally created in Word for Mac that now reside in OneDrive. I have noticed on many documents that when I perform an edit to the text, the app crashes. Actually, not only does the app crash, but it crashes the entire iOS! 

I have reinstalled the app and tried closing all apps but Word for iPad. Sometimes this happens when I am trying to paste text, selecting a point in a sentence and typing, and hitting return to make a new line in an outline.

It should be noted that all the documents with this problem are using styles for outlining. Heading 1-7 provide the outline I., A. 1). etc. The last crash that just occurred happened when I selected a point at the end of a sentence in the outline and then hit return to put it on a new line. It crashed the app and crashed the OS.

UPDATE: Ok, I was just able to reproduce the crash. It occurred when I selected a portion of a sentence in a Styled Outline and hit return to move the remaining text to a new line. It crashed the app and the OS. Illustrated below:

THIS IS WHAT MY DOCUMENT LOOKS LIKE:

I. <Heading Style 1>

A. <Heading Style 2>

1. <Heading Style 3> Here is an example line of text. [**I PLACED MY CURSOR HERE AND PRESSED RETURN TO PUT THE REMAINING TEXT ON A NEW LINE. THE APP AND IOS CRASHED**] Another example of a line of text.

I hope that someone can help me. As of now, the Word for iPad app is unusable to me. I was able to duplicate the crash with the "Send Crashes to Microsoft" setting to "On" in the General Settings. It occurred around 7:30pm MST, 6/4/14. Thanks.

My word on iPad mini just froze. It just says opening. ....and stuck ther. I cannot get out nor reboot. What's the resolution?

John David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I would like to know more information to assist you better.

Does the issue occur with a specific Word document or all Word documents?

Does Word document crash when you select the styles only?

If yes, then create a new document with similar content and check if the issue occurs.

Let us know the details for further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My word on iPad mini just froze. It just says opening. ....and stuck ther. I cannot get out nor reboot. What's the resolution?

John David

Hi John,

Let me help you launch the Word application on iPad.

I would like to know if you are able to open other Office applications like Excel or PowerPoint on iPad.

If the issue occurs with all the Office applications then follow the steps below to reset the app.

1. Close all the Office for iPad apps. To do this, press the Home button on your iPad twice, swipe to find each Office for iPad app, and then swipe the preview screen up to close each app.
  2. Go to iPad Settings.
  3. In Settings , tap to select one of your Office for iPad apps such as Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
  4. Under RESET , tap Reset <app name>.
  5. Slide to enable Delete Login Credentials.
  6. Start one of your Office for iPad apps so that your credential is deleted.
  7. Sign in using your Office 365 Organization ID account.  

Hope the suggestions provided is helpful.

Thank you.

Note: It is always advised to create your own thread, so your issue will be addressed best and with priority.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Aravinda,

Thanks for your response. Word for iPad is crashing on multiple different documents. However, most of them are based on a specific file that I use as a base format for all my teaching notes. I opened a brand new version of this file and as soon as I started to type, Word for iPad not only crashed but crashed my entire iOS and rebooted the iPad.

This is a serious problem. I don't know if this is occurring in other documents. Honestly, I don't see that it matters. This is the main document I use for all of my other teaching notes so pretty much every document I use or need to use has this particular outline style, which was created in Word for the Mac. So it should be fully compatible.

What is important is that I am reporting to you that Word for iPad crashes on this document and documents like it. Hopefully, you or your development team can do some research to determine why. I would hope that this would be fixed in upcoming versions of your software. 

Finally, I can't find a place to attach the problematic Word document to this post. Could you please provide me an email address or location where I can send you the file that is problematic. Hopefully, this will assist you in fixing the problem. Thanks.

Thanks,

David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David,

Can you send me a file that crashes so that we can investigate?

I've sent you a private message.

Thanks,

Fergal

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi 

I too have been experiencing problems with word for the iPad. It currently holds much of my university course work and now I can't even open it. The loading screen comes up and then it goes into the access to documents and then turns grey and comes out of the app. I also have excel for the iPad and have had no problems with that. I really could do without losing all my work.

any help greatly appreciated. 

Amy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. The app shows the starting screen, then goes to the access to documents screen and then crashes. I have all my course notes there, which I really don't want to lose. 

So, some sort of a solution would be great.

Thank you,

Sandra

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

I am facing the same problem with word for ipad. I found the app is crashing perticularly with large files. Also a new bug is that some new symbols are added to every words and lines. 

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 3,358 Applies to: