While doing a Find & Replace, Word 2013 does not always highlight the found word

While doing a Find & Replace, Word 2013 does not always highlight the found word 

Find & Replace usually highlights (with a grey background) a word, portion of a word, sentence or paragraph that has been 'found', so that the user can then decide whether to Replace or not.

Quite often however, Word stops at a page, indicating something has been found, but does not highlight the word (etc).

As soon as the mouse is clicked in the document, Word does display the highlighting. I have tested this making sure the Find & Replace dialogue box is not overlapping the document.

This almost always occurs when the word (etc) to be highlighted is in the top line displayed in the window. Note that this is not consistent and that sometimes a word in error in the top line will be highlighted correctly.

This screenshot on OneDrive illustrates

This is a regular occurrence, but I can't detect a pattern or reason.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This may be a display driver issue. Check for an updated display driver for your system.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This may be a display driver issue. Check for an updated display driver for your system.

I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers with unfortunately no improvement.

The problem remains.

Just out of interest, have you tried this yourself?

Try searching for something like 'self' but do not specify whole word.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I could not replicate the problem searching for things like "old" in bold or Bold
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I could not replicate the problem searching for things like "old" in bold or Bold

I promise you, it really is happening. I've checked and it happens with whole words (like bold in your example) and partial words (like old in your example).

Any suggestions?

I am running Office 365 (2013) 32bit on Windows 7 Pro 64bit (all updates and patches applied).

I've checked this in Safe mode and the problem persists.

I've checked that all my drivers are updated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just started using Office 2013 about a month ago and I have this issue and find it very annoying.  It is like the scroll bar auto hide.  I do not like having to click the document to make things appear.  Noting that the original post was nearly a year ago, it is disappointing that this is still occurring.  Note:  I installed all updates after installing Office 2013, so clearly no patch on this issue.  =(  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just started using Office 2013 about a month ago and I have this issue and find it very annoying.  It is like the scroll bar auto hide.  I do not like having to click the document to make things appear.  Noting that the original post was nearly a year ago, it is disappointing that this is still occurring.  Note:  I installed all updates after installing Office 2013, so clearly no patch on this issue.  =(  

The autohiding of scrollbars is a design change, so it's a different situation.

Have you tried updating the display driver, as Paul/macropod suggested in his reply? 

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows determined that the driver is up to date.  

This is on my work computer--I spend 95% of my work day on it and probably 95% of that time in Office.  I will have to compare it to my home computer (on which I use Word far less (maybe 1% of my time), but it is easier for my to mess around with display drivers if I find it occurs there).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You could go directly to the manufacturer's web site, which is sometimes necessary to ensure that you find the appropriate updated drivers.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Per Windows Update, my video drivers were up to date.  I went to NVidia website and downloaded the latest drivers.  I have shut down and restarted the computer many times now and over the last week, the display problem still persists.  Ctrl-F will find the word, but many words it finds it will not highlight.  Similar to the original poster, it seems to occur when the word it near the top.  I have two monitors, so maybe that is the problem.  Well, not the problem, Word is the problem.  Unfortunately, I cannot just go back to Word 2010.  But I can use OpenOffice.   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is a well known Word 2013 bug to not highlight the first Find/Replace hit occurrence per page while in Print Layout view (i.e., the Ctrl+H Find/Replace).  This annoying behavior has been hindering productivity for 2+ years now.  Microsoft Rep, please don't continue to ignore the many reports of this bug and help us get the bug fixed in Office 2013.  It may well involve changing just one or two lines of code by the largest software company on Earth to fix it.  Microsoft apparently has no channels to report bugs unless you are a corporation which gives you rights to report 2 or 3.  LibreOffice is much better about fixing bugs.  Thank you for listening.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2022 Views 1,403 Applies to: