Spell check disappeared. If I try to install by clicking on "not installed", the option of UK English is not shown.

Original title: Spell check disappeared

I am running Windows 8 and my spell check has disappeared overnight. After some investigation, I see that under     File/Options/Language,    it shows:-

English (United Kingdom) <default>  enabled   not installed

This is the same in all Office products

If I try to install by clicking on "not installed", the option of UK English is not shown.

If I try to install English (US) it appears to install (i.e. It tells me that all I have to do is reload Word), but it has not, in fact installed.

Note that spell check is working in other apps., for example in writing this message.

I really need UK English back in Office quickly - any help gratefully received.

Answer
Answer

Hi John,  I'm a Microsoft employee and work on the development team with Microsoft Office who manage the proofing experience.  I received notification of your post just yesterday (apologies) and since then we've been trying to reproduce the issue you report without success, there seems to be 2-3 similar reports on this forum since August 2014 so we are concerned.

Can you confirm the issue is still active ? can you confirm that you are using Office 2013 ? Are you using a retail or Office 365 install ?

Whilst we continue to figure out the root cause:

I'd suggest you go to: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ie/language-packs/  select English ... then select [Download] under the proofing tool heading... select download again ...  then select either the 86 or 64 EXE package depending on your PC,  download it and be sure to run the download EXE. It should take about 3 seconds to install.

Please note there is only one proofing package file for English  , it does however support US English, UK English etc

Let me know if this solves your issue.

thanks! Jerome

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 30, 2021 Views 355 Applies to: