Recent Folders in Backstage - Pin Folders Not in List

Microsoft Word 2013 (15.0.4649.1000)

MSO (15.0.4649.1000) 32-bit

Part of Microsoft Office 365

Windows 8.1

In Microsoft Word 2013, there are folders I would like to pin at the top of the Recent Folders list in Backstage.  I know how to pin folders from the Recent Folders list, but I cannot get these specific folders to appear on that list so I may pin them.

I rarely save files in these folders; instead, they are more like "master" folders containing multiple subfolders in which I do save files.  Having those pinned to the top of my Recent Folders would speed up my file operations considerably.  (I'm a teacher with thousands of documents organized by course, unit, chapter, and activity.)

How can I get these "master" folders to appear on the Recent Folders list so that I can pin them to the top of that list?  Alternatively, is there a way I can manually add these "master" folders to the Recent Folders list or even the pinned folders list?

I tried creating a file and saving it in the "master" folder, thinking that would force the "master" folder to show up on the Recent Folders list.  It did not.  I tried creating a second file and saving it in the "master" folder, thinking that the Recent Folders list generates based on the frequency with which I access a folder.  That did not put the "master" folder on the Recent Folders list.  I tried opening both documents from within Word, editing them, then saving them again, thinking that multiple file operations within Word might help force the "master" folder onto the Recent Folders list.  No success.

Again, I know how to do this in the standard file operation dialog box with Favorites, and how to configure options to bypass Backstage, but there are some advantages to Backstage I would like to preserve, if possible.  I have similar issues with Excel and PowerPoint, but I'm guessing the solution in Word will apply to those as well.  If not, I'll tackle them later.

Thank you for any ideas that might help me with this issue.

David

As an alternative, go to File>Options>Save and uncheck the box for "Don't show the Backstage when opening or closing files." and then in File Explorer, add the folders that you are interested in to the Favorites.

Then when you save a file, you will be able to access those "master folders" from the Favorites section at the top of the Folder pane in the Save As dialog.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

As an alternative, go to File>Options>Save and uncheck the box for "Don't show the Backstage when opening or closing files." and then in File Explorer, add the folders that you are interested in to the Favorites.

Then when you save a file, you will be able to access those "master folders" from the Favorites section at the top of the Folder pane in the Save As dialog.

Thank you, Doug.  I've customized my Favorites section for just that purpose.  I'm hoping there's a way I can pin these so I can gain similar functionality while using Backstage.  If not, you're suggestion is the best alternative I've found.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is better, but pinning folders was a new feature in the last version of Office which I accepted for an upgrade, that I really liked.    I really hope someone can tell us how to set it up in Office365.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,016 Applies to: