Recent Documents in Word

Hello,

I use Office 365, daily.

In particular, I use Word, daily.

I have a word document named Notes.docx.

I am paranoid about OneDrive, for which I have numerous posts and  no solutions.  [Everything and everyone is culpable for the problem, EXCEPT for Microsoft.  There is no way Microsoft has written problematic code with OneDrive.]

Therefore, daily, I save a copy of my notes.docx file as yyyy^mm^dd^notes.docx, where ^ is a space.  Therfore, I have numerous copies of notes.docx for edits made on respective days.

So,

In Word, under recent files a paying Microsoft customer would erroneously believe:

• that notes.docx would be listed as a recent documents because, in fact, it is used and saved daily.
  • recent documents would be listed either in descending date order by the nomenclature of the file, e.g, the file saved yesterday with the yyyy^mm^dd^notes.docx would be listed as well as the day before that and the day before that an so on or by the actual save date of the file

This paying Microsoft customer erroneously believed the above.

This paying Microsoft customer:

• does not even see notes.doc.x in the recent documents list, a file that was in fact used and saved yesterday.
  • does not see the immediately 3 preceding files of notes.docx with the following naming structure yyyy^mm^dd^notes.docx

This paying Microsoft customer sees as his recent documents:

• notes.docx files with the naming structure yyyy^mm^dd^notes.docx as of 75 days ago, seventy five days ago!!!

Stated differently, the code that Microsoft has written is telling this paying customer that:

• files saved 75 days ago are the most recent files
  • files used yesterday and saved yesterday are OLDER than files used and saved 75 days ago
  • Word has not saved a single document for 75 days; therefore, Word has not been used in the past 75 days either to create or to edit Word documents.

Remember Forrest Gump?

Microsoft is a technological box of chocolates, you never know what the Microsoft problem du jour you are going to get.

Oh, yes, I know the fault lies with me or some third party or failure to have everything updated (because it was released to the public as **** in the first place with the intention of proclaiming corrections with updates) or the man-in-the-moon, because it is never Microsoft's fault.

QUESTION: Is this how the free Google Docs does it?

Hello,

QUESTION: Is this how the free Google Docs does it?

This is a peer-to-peer support forum. You might want to ask some users of Google Docs.

If you want versioning technology in Word, take a look at Save numbered versions add-in for Word 2007 to 2013.

I believe that the recent files in Word 2013 are listed according to the file last accessed being at the top of the list (with pinned files first). At least that is how it works for me. The pinned files are listed in alphabetical order.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm thinking you missed my sarcasm.

I understand the difference between Recent documents and pinned documents.  Furthermore, I can read the word "Recent" and all the documents listed underneath that word with a downward facing pin to the right of each listed document.

I am not the only person with this issue, which dates well back into 2014 and with no solution from Microsoft.

We are paying for this experience.  Sarcastically, are the users of the free Google stuff similarly frustrated?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Below is Microsoft's best answer to this issue:

Maybe if we spun around on our heads, rubbed our bellies and chanted a prayer of help to Bill Gates, Steve Balmer and Satya Nadella with a blue moon rising while Venus and Jupiter are in alignment then this software that we customers paid for will work correctly. 

But, most certainly, paying customers should not expect the software that we paid for to work as represented by Microsoft without such effort.

Do Note: Found this helpful 0

************************************************************************************************

Found this helpful 0
Nayana S M replied on

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the reply.

If the issue re-appears again then you may try to rename normal.dot and verifying the status. To do so refer to the section ‘Rename the Normal.dot or Normal.dotm global template file’ in the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

For further queries, reply and we would be happy to assist.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Brian was helped by Nayana's responses. Do you by chance have a third-party utility like CC Cleaner running on your computer?
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,188 Applies to: