Proofing tools not working on freshly installed Win 7 and Office 365

OK, so I have a really strange problem with the proofing tools so I'll try to describe what happened it in detail.

1) Running Windows 7 and Office 365 proofing tools suddenly stopped working. Later - for other reasons - I did a clean reinstall of Windows. (I'm not sure how relevant this information is.)

2) On the freshly installed Win 7 SP1 64-bit I installed the en-us version of Office 365 ProPlus 64-bit. I have downloaded the 64-bit proofing tools for German, Hungarian and Italian but none of them worked. (Symptoms: in language preferences the spell check is "not installed". However, in the language selection window e.g. in Word the little abc tick is present next to these languages.)

3) Probably this was a real bad idea but I tried installing the 32-bit proofing tools for German. No changes.

4)  Completely uninstalled each proofing tool and Office. Reinstalled Office 32-bit and 32-bit proofing tools. They still didn't work. 

5) Removed proofing tools and installed the German, Hungarian and Italian versions of Office 32-bit. Spell checking was alright for all of these languages, except for German.

6) The registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\de-de is not present. I uninstalled everything and deleted all registry keys I could find for the proofing in hu, de and it. 

7) Reinstalled Office 64-bit en-us, de and hu. Proofing tools worked only for the languages included in the English language pack. Uninstalled everything.

8) Reinstalled Office 32-bit. en-us, de and hu. Proofing tools work fine, except for the German one, again.

Notes: Neither online repair nor quick repair fixed the problems. Uninstalls ran with either Iobit Uninstaller or this Fixit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501.

I googled this issue for days but I couldn't find any solution. My only guess is that the previously installed proofing tools interfere with the Office suites in some way but I can't figure out what's wrong. I would be also quite pleased if the simple proofing tools worked, I don't really need Office in three languages. The strange thing is that they actually stopped working before I reinstalled the whole Windows so maybe some corrupt files are being synchronized with my account. I looked at the Office files in AppData/Roaming but they seem normal to me. 

I would be really thankful if you could provide me some help with this problem because the German spell check is actually the one I need the most. 

Thank you!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thanks for choosing Microsoft Community.

I have a quick question before we start.

From where and how was the Proofing tools downloaded and installed?

Since you have reinstalled both Office and Windows, make sure you have all the available updates for both Windows and Office and verify the results.

You may also try installing the Proofing tools as an administrator and check if it helps.

Download the Proofing tool and save it to desktop.

Right click on the downloaded file and click on ‘Run as Admin’.

You may also refer to the thread mentioned below which discuss about the similar type of the issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/proofing-tools-are-not-working-in-office-2013/a560a7ac-d95f-490c-b2c2-c5704cdc4937

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/office-2013-professional-plus-proofing-tools-not/aa55d12e-e80a-408c-b46c-928c27329144?page=1

I hope the above suggestions help. If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Office related issues, let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

thanks for your response.

I have already gone through these threads and I decided to ask for your help after everything else failed.

All available updates are installed. I have downloaded the proofing tools from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/de-DE/download/details.aspx?id=35400 . Already tried running them as administrator, it didn't work. 

I would be really thankful for any further suggestions. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply,

Open word>click on review>click on language>click on Set Proofing Tool language> uncheck Detect language automatically.

Once you uncheck the option, Check if you are able to get the proofing tool for German to work as expected.

You may also send us a screen shot of the set proofing language screen.  Refer the link below on how to upload a screen shot.

Click on the below link which will show you how to upload the screen shots

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-windows_programs/how-to-include-a-screenshot-in-your-post/2594b08e-32a3-476a-85a6-b021181be7e4

Please post back if you need any further help.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately, it didn't work. Here are some screenshots.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the display language (user interface language) of Windows? I'm asking because this is starting to look like a problem I encountered with Windows 8.1, when I tried to set a default proofing language (in Office) which was different from the display language in Windows. I reported the problem to the Office team and I'm waiting for confirmation that it is in fact a general problem. I should clarify that I have never seen it happen in Windows 7, though.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's also English. The whole issue is kind of strange...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually I think it's because the separately installed proofing tools (which I really don't know why didn't work). I installed all three proofing tools (HU, DE, IT) for 64-bit and none of the proofing tools for these languages work with the complete 64-bit Office packs. I only installed one proofing tool for 32-bit and it was the German one. Now I have all three Office suites (EN, DE, HU) for 32-bit and only the German proofing tools don't work. So I really think the previous installs must have left some traces that are interfering with the program... Or something like that. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't do all the installing and deleting that you did, so it is not possible that some traces of a previous installation is interfering with the program, and I have the same problem.  I have successfully installed the proofing tools for French, but the German proofing tools refuse to work.  When I click on Spelling & Grammar Check, it tells me that my spelling is okay, although I have intentionally added some misspelled words.  After it does the spelling and grammar check, I get shown the "MISSING PROOFING TOOLS" banner.

Turning off "Detect language automatically" also has no effect.

I'm doing this on a Windows 7 Pro machine using Office 365/Word 2013.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you make sure to install the correct version of the German proofing tools (64 bit for 64 bit Office or 32 bit for 32 bit Office)?
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I still couldn't find a solution, so let me know if you come up with something :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 28, 2022 Views 5,475 Applies to: