Problem with Equation Editor (Word)

Until this week I had no problem editing math equations that I had in Word 2003 documents, when oppened in Word 2013 (compatibility mode). But now Word 2013 won´t recognize 2003 equations.. and I have a lot of older files that can not be editted!!!

Exactly what do you mean by "won't recognize 2003 equations"?

If you just see an empty rectangle in place of the equations, go to File>Options>Advanced>Show document content and uncheck the box for "Show picture placeholders".

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

When I open a Word 2003 file (using my Word 2013), the EQUATION sign on the upper line menu is no longer activated (that was not the case until a few days ago). Moreover, when I double click on any equation on the document... I get e message like ¨The program EQUATION is not isntalled on your computer or not responding¨.    

If I cant fix this, I would have to retype all equations from my old 2003 files (thousands) in the new 2013 Equation format. Thanks for any advise... it is much appreciated! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You might try repairing the Office installation or remove all traces of the Office installation by downloading the fixit from the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

saving it to your computer and then running it.

Then reinstall Office by logging into
www.office.com/myaccount with your registered email address and click Install Office.

Make sure that you have the necessary credentials to log in to your account before removing Office.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 5 Applies to: