Office365 Start Screen Slow (Not Responding) -- Loading templates?

Hi,

Whenever I open word/excel/powerpoint/etc, it takes approximately 30seconds+ to load (on a SSD).  The application will not respond during this period, but I can see spinning loading indicators on the templates screen.

I can bypass this by setting Office to skip load screen and start a new blank document instead, however the loading pause will occur the first time I press File.

Office never used to do this, but has started doing it recently.  Possibly ever since upgrading to Windows 8.1, but that may be coincidence.  I have tried re-installing as well as doing an online repair.

Is anyone else having this issue?  Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks!
If I make a new user account, and use office from it, I don't experience these issues.

The only differences I can imagine is a connected SkyDrive account, or some account-specific setting file(s).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

FIX:

I was able to fix this issue, though my "fix" may not be recommended.

Since it was a single user account issue, I explored the CURRENT_USER folder of Windows8 registry and found Software->Microsoft->Office.

I then backed-up this registry (as a precaution) before deleting it.

The first time launching Word was slow as it re-configured, but now it opens speedy again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Additional Details: (I wish I could simply edit my old posts, but I don't see an edit tool).

Deleting the suggested registry will cause Office to become unstable.  However, the issue is caused by something in it (localizing the exact registry key/setting is not realistic).

It can be repaired by transplanting the registry directory from an unaffected user account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 307 Applies to: