Office Home and Student 2013 can't print with Windows 8

Printing fails with Office Home and Student 2013 apps such as Word and Excel on Windows 8.  Specifically, an attempt to print to a printer causes the document to appear very briefly (for a few milliseconds) in the print queue.  It then disappears and nothing is printed.

This is not related to a specific model of printer or a even a physical printer because printing to an XPS document does not work either.  The request for a destination file appears, but after the file is specified, nothing is created.

This problem does not occur with other apps.  For example, Notepad and Adobe work just fine.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a workaround until the problem is fixed?

Thanks,

-Todd

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I just discovered that if I run the Office apps as Administrator, I can print.  I don't know why this is necessary for Office, but not other apps.  Other apps, both Metro and traditional work just fine without being run as Administrator.

My guess is that this has something to do with the new V4 printer drivers, but I have no idea what.

Is there something that can be done with Office app permissions so that running as Admin is not necessary?  Is this a bug in the Office apps themselves or just in the installation?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

As per the description provided, you’re able to print from Office application only when it is run as administrator.

Let us try to repair the Office 365 installation then try to print from the applications and verify the status.

Refer the article mentioned below on how to repair 365:  

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx

Let us know the result to assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First off, I'm running the PC version, not 365, the cloud version.  The version I have installed is 15.0.4517.1005.  It's 32-bit.

I did the local repair as per the instructions, and it did not help.  When I tried the online repair, it complained with the message "We have found a pre-release or Beta version of Office on your computer."  This is not the case.  I just installed this very recently, and it certainly wasn't Beta, so I don't know what it is complaining about.

This is a new installation of Windows 8, so it is quite pristine.  Is my problem a known one?  It should be trivial to replicate.

-Todd

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried uninstalling Office 2013 32-bit and then reinstalling the 64-bit version.  The same problem with printing is present.  On Windows 7 on the same machine, Office 2013 works fine.

As I stated previously, my Windows 8 installation is quite recent.  Therefore, I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem is not specific to my configuration.  I suspect it may be a general bug with Windows 8 and Office 2013.  It may have something to do with the version, Home and Student, and the click to install download.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would attempt to replicate this problem to see if it is a common bug.  Since the documents do make it to the print queue, but then just disappear without printing and Admin mode resolves the problem,  that might indicate some issue with permissions, which is probably easily resolved by engineering if this bug gets properly reported.

-Todd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any fixes to this exist? I'm having the same issue with a brand new system and install of Windows 8.1 x64 using the x64 version of Office 2013 Pro. Running as admin does let the machine print.

This is one of the only posts I have found with this same issue that I am having.

I recently upgraded this machine from an AMD FX based setup to a Ivy Bridge-E i7, I thought it was some odd install issue at first so I did a clean install of 8.1 again just to make sure. The AMD FX setup did not have the issue, this configuration does.

This is my hardware setup:

MSI X79A-GD45 Plus BIOS vH7
Intel Core i7 4820K
32GB Crucial Balistix - DDR3 12800
XFX ATI Radeon HD 7970 (Primary Display)
XFX ATI Radeon 7770 (Secondary Displays)
Intel 530 240gb SATA III System Drive
WD Black 750gb SATA III Program Drive
Pioneer DVD±RW
Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU
Windows 8.1 Professional x64

I am running the latest BIOS and I updated the firmware on the printer just to be sure.

It is ok to have the admin work around so at least I can print, but like the original post, all other programs print 100% ok. Just not Office 2013.

I'm thinking some security update is causing this, I might do a clean install again and install the updated one by one to see if I can determine what if any updates screwed the virtual pooch on this one.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Todd,

As you said that you are able to print when you'r opening word application in administrator mode which means there could some compatibility issue with your office 2013 installation and you can try the following steps to fix this issue.

1. open control panel and click on default programs or just search for default programs.

2. Make sure that word application should be there in the list.

3. if the application is not there and you can see other like excel,powerpoint.

4. Try to add word application in the list.

5. Right click on winword.exe(c:\program files(x86)\office 15\root\office 15\).

6. Select properties at bottom and make sure there should not be any box checked.

7.Try to make xps as a default printer from priter list.

8. Open services.msc in Run Window and restart print spooler service.

Or otherwise uninstall the whole office app on your computer and reinstall it again.!!

Shyam Singh Bisht

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft do not recommend the use of the 64-bit version of Office unless it is required because you are running extremely large and complex Excel models.   Therefore, if you are going to try re-installing the software, try the 32-bit version of Office.

It is possible that there is some third party Add-in that is causing the issue so here is my (expanding) list of things to try when Office 2013\365 won’t start or crashes:

See the Article “Why can’t I start my Office 2013 application at:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/why-cant-i-start-my-office-2013-application-HA104011864.aspx

Refer to the following website for information on repairing Office 2013\365:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx

See Office 2013 install woes - http://office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=1834

See the KnowledgeBase article “Office 2013 applications crash on launch at the splash screen” at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2813143

Or see the KnowledgeBase article Error: “Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now” when trying to install Office 2013 at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2811180/en-us/

Also see my response in

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/microsoft-word-2013-has-stopped-working/67b81016-849f-481a-bce5-bf04797ac03b

Do you have Abbyy Finereader installed on the PC? A number of people have reported that removing it overcomes problems with 2013.  See:

Office programs may crash with the FineReader add-in installed at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2755838

Do you have “Fun Tools” add-in? A number of people have reported that removing it overcomes problems with 2013

Do you have Toshiba Book Reader installed on the PC?  It has been reported that uninstalling that brings Office back to working status.

Do you have the Acrobat PDFMaker add-in.  It has been reported that uninstalling that overcomes an issue with a message appearing that states "The document contains macros. Macro support for this application is disabled. Features requiring VBA are not available. Would you like to open this document as a read only?"

Also see:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/microsoft-word-has-stopped-working-when-i-close/8375b5b6-4f7e-46ed-a02b-90152ecad287#LastReplyand

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_home-word/word-and-excel-2013-crashing-on-windows-7/5389390c-e989-4c8e-8fe0-62673f1410ce?page=4#LastReply

It appears that there may be some hardware incompatibilities as well.  If you have the NVIDIA driver
NVWGF2UM.DLL, try renaming it as: NVWGF2UM.oldas was mentioned in:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/microsoft-word-has-stopped-working-when-i-close/8375b5b6-4f7e-46ed-a02b-90152ecad287#LastReply

From the File tab, select Options and then click on Advanced and then in the Display section of the dialog, check the box for Disable hardware graphics acceleration

For the error message "There was a problem sending the command to the program", use Windows Explorer to access the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15 folder and right click on WINWORD.EXE then on Properties, go to the Compatibility tab and uncheck all the boxes.  It has also been reported that the problem can be overcome by editing the registry at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\shell\Open and deleting the ddeexec key.

The ddeexec can also be deleted from

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.DocumentMacroEnabled.12\shell\Open.

That fix is described at ...

http://www.dilloway.co.uk/there-was-a-problem-sending-the-command.html

It has been reported that uninstalling FastPictureView and FastPictureViewer Pro… overcomes the issue of the Minimize, Maximize, Close and Help buttons not being visible in Office 2013.

If you have a Canon 8350 printer, try using the Canon MF8000 UFRI LT XPS driver as detail in the post by Riad Amstha on April 14 in the thread at:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-word/office-2013-crashes-with-canon-8350-printer/e2bf6530-92e0-47ef-b6ec-e803a91793d0?page=3#LastReply

For the problem of nothing appearing when you start typing in a blank document in Word in Office 365 Home Premium, and you hear a bell sound with each keypress, but no characters appear, disable the SMARTInk add-in for an interactive whiteboard.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One problem I've read about is if the printer is NOT directly connected to the computer, ie it is on a network with some sort of print server.  If you are running 64 bit Windows (and printer drivers) and the network or print server are running 32 bit there can be a mismatch that causes print problems.
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just discovered that if I run the Office apps as Administrator, I can print.  I don't know why this is necessary for Office, but not other apps.  Other apps, both Metro and traditional work just fine without being run as Administrator.

My guess is that this has something to do with the new V4 printer drivers, but I have no idea what.

Is there something that can be done with Office app permissions so that running as Admin is not necessary?  Is this a bug in the Office apps themselves or just in the installation?

How can I run Office apps as Administrator?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How do I run Office apps as Administrator?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2022 Views 1,438 Applies to: