Office 365 Word Endnote and Footnote Formatting Not Working

Hello All,

I'm trying to format my  endnote/footnotes but the formatting shortcut does not work. If I hover over the formatting hyperlink it will show the  endnote/footnote formatting option window but when I click that nothing happens. If I immediately click the hyperlink (the little angled down arrow under the Footnotes menu thingy) it will insert an endnote. If I try to modify an endnote/footnote by highlighting it ( ->right click-> Note Options" I get a  Microsoft Visual Basic "run-time error '5935' Comments,  endnotes and footnotes can only be added to the main story".  That window gives me the option to "end" or "debug" Debugging brings up the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications program with this statement ActiveDocument.Footnotes.Add Range:=Selection.Range highlighted in yellow.

Thanks,

Joseph

Hello All,

I'm trying to format my  endnote/footnotes but the formatting shortcut does not work. If I hover over the formatting hyperlink it will show the  endnote/footnote formatting option window but when I click that nothing happens. If I immediately click the hyperlink (the little angled down arrow under the Footnotes menu thingy) it will insert an endnote. If I try to modify an endnote/footnote by highlighting it ( ->right click-> Note Options" I get a  Microsoft Visual Basic "run-time error '5935' Comments,  endnotes and footnotes can only be added to the main story".  That window gives me the option to "end" or "debug" Debugging brings up the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications program with this statement ActiveDocument.Footnotes.Add Range:=Selection.Range highlighted in yellow.

Thanks,

Joseph

jimmy wall

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

BUSSNESS IN A BOX, NEED FIXING

WORD WITH

jimmy wall

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What you describe suggests that your Normal template (or possibly an add-in) contains a macro called InsertFootnote, which is intercepting the commands to insert and modify footnotes.

Press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Click View | Project Explorer. In the list of projects, click to expand Normal. Click again to expand the Modules folder. Double-click any item and see if you find a macro called InsertFootnote and/or InsertEndnote. Select and delete them.

When you are done, click the Save icon. Close the Visual Basic Editor and restart Word.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,786 Applies to: