Office 365 renewal - now I can't save any documents

Yesterday I renewed my Office 365 Account (I went in store and purchased a new activation code), however now I cannot save any of my documents.

I was using MS Word, and I can get as far as Save As - I click on the folder where I want to save the document and nothing happens.

I have the same problem trying to save email attachments (Word Docs, PDF's - all files).

Could someone please help me?  I have run my troubleshooter to no avail.

Kind Regards

Kathryn

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Your not being able to save any email attachments, suggests that the issue is something more than just Office.  Where are you trying to save those attachments.

What sort of subscription did you have to Office 365?  Was it just a trial and now you have purchased a subscription.   If that is not the case, I do not think that it is necessary to purchase a new activation code.  Rather, extending the previous subscription would be the thing to do.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your reply.  My subscription is a one-year Office 365 Home - 5 PC's/Macs + 5 tablets.

It expired on the 28th Jan, and I renewed it on the 29th Jan using one of the suggested methods (re-purchase).  I have followed all of the directions.

I don't know whether Office is the problem, but it started at this time, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what has happened or where to start.  And as always, the problem hit at the least convenient time!

Do you have any suggestions as to what may be the cause?  What would be preventing me from saving my documents?

Regards

Kathryn

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there any message that appears when you try to save a file, either a Word document, or a file that is attached to an email message?
Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Doug,

No nothing happens, I go to the usual File - Save As - click on my chosen destination and nothing happens.

It doesn't matter if I select "my documents", "dropbox", "desktop" etc..., once I select a destination folder it stops, and nothing happens.  

I don't even get a chance to give the document a title.

Then if I try and close out of the document a dialogue box appears saying "do you want to save your changes?"  If I click Yes, I go through the above steps...  I am completely clueless, this has never happened to me before...

Any suggestions?

Regards

Katy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you go to the MS account you used when you initially purchased what does it say for your subscription?

You usually renew a subscription automatically, if you had set this facility up on first purchase, or via My MS Account>Renew

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I renewed my subscription by purchasing a new card with an unlock code as I do not have a credit card.  However I signed in with my current Microsoft Account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Kat,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Few more details would help us to provide a better response.

Are you able to save non office files (Notepad\WordPad etc.)? Also check if you are able to save non office attachments.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,

i have not been able to save any type of document (wordpad, word, excel, pdf, photos... anything).

I get as far as Save As, and then nothing happens, usually a browser window / dialogue box would appear for me to select the destination of where to save, and to give the document a name, but none of this is happening.

The only change that happened to my computer was that my Microsoft subscription expired and I renewed it using a new product key.  I signed in with my original MS Office Account Username and Password.

I have since uninstalled microsoft office, with the hope of reinstalling and solving the problem, now I cannot reinstall the software, I keep getting an error message 30174-4 something to do with my firewall?  I have changed the settings to allow the changes, but the installation was really (really) slow, then my computer shut down.  I have restarted the computer, and tried to reinstall again, but I got a message saying that it is currently trying to install.

I have never had so many problems with a computer before, I have only had this P&C for a year and a half, and I have had nothing but problems.  I also bought a HP laptop at the same time also running windows 8.  It too is having the same problem, and likewise, I have had nothing but problems since I bought it.

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions please let me know, as now, other than internet I cannot use my computer.

Please help

regards

Kat

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For the error "Office can't do that right now because your product is busy with another task" error when installing Office 2013 or Office 365" see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2809219/en-us

See "General troubleshooting for installing Office 2013 and Office 365" at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2822317/en-us

See ""Something went wrong" error when you install Office 2013 or Office 365" at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2827031/en-us
and, if necessary http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2822317
If that does not help, then you might remove all traces of the Office  installation by downloading and saving the fixit from the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

and then run the fixit by double clicking on it and then, after re-booting your computer, reinstall Office by logging into
www.office.com/myaccountwith your registered email address and click Install Office.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

when trying to save a word or excel document I get the error -  "_____ is an invalid name"

when this first occured I could open the program as "administrator" and it would work.  Not anymore.

HELP PLEASE

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 15, 2024 Views 15,163 Applies to: