Mail Merge Does Not Work When Using HTML

I am trying to create an email merge in Word 2013 (office 365).  I can do it on other computers, just not this one. 

I go through the whole process, then when I get to the final part of the mail merge, if I choose to do it in plain text, it sends.  If I choose HTML, it does nothing at all.

Help!

To merge to HTML emails, you need to have Outlook installed on the computer, even if it's not used as your default email program.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you do have Outlook installed and your data source is an Excel workbook, you could use the Merge with Attachments (the attachments are optional) facility on my Merge Tools Add-in, by selecting E-mail as the destination for the merged documents.

You can download the MergeTools – 20140218.dotm Add-in that I created from the following page of my One Drive:
http://bit.ly/1hduSCB

The MergeTools – 20140218.dotm file needs to be saved in the Word Startup folder.  In Windows XP the default location for that folder is

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

In Windows Vista and Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 it is

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

If you do not see the AppData folder: -

In Windows 7, - In Windows Explorer, click on the Organize drop down and then on Folder and search options and in the Folder Options dialog, go to the View tab and select the item "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".  While there, it is a good idea to uncheck the box of "Hide extensions for known file types".

In Windows 8 and 8.1, in the File Explorer, click on Options on the View tab of the ribbon and then on the View tab in the dialog that appears and select the item "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".  While there, it is a good idea to uncheck the box of "Hide extensions for known file types".

When that has been done and Word is started\re-started, the tab shown below will be added to the Ribbon:

One thing to note is that the field names in the data source must contain only alphanumeric characters (No @,#,$,%,&,(,), etc) and the field names must not start with a numeric character (0-9).

You may also want to download
the Merging with Attachments document that is also on that page which explains how the system is used.  It is not actually necessary to have separate attachments as the facility can be used to send just the documents created by the merge itself as attachments, either as the body of the message itself or in the form of Word files or .pdf files.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This did not work.  I need it to tell Outlook to send the email. Outlook is the default mail program.  

Any other ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is installed and set as the default mail program.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Kindly don't hijack other people's threads. Start your own.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am, the same person. I had asked the question on Chris' login accidentally as we were logged into her Office and it is her computer  having the problem.  Not a hijack, just a matter of trying to get this done no matter what computer I am sitting at.

So, the question stands......   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change)?
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I did that. I also did a scanpst.

Joe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your response.

You may try running the Mail Merge while working in the Clean Boot mode on your computer.

Clean Boot mode would disable all the non-Microsoft applications which could also be one of the reasons for the issue with Mail Merge using HTML not working in Outlook 2013.

Refer the article below to start the computer in clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After restarting your computer in Clean Boot mode try opening Word 2013 and check if the issue still persists or is resolved.

If the issue resolves while working in the Clean Boot environment then follow the steps as mentioned under the heading ‘If you could not run a program before you performed the clean boot’ which is below the option What is next when I have a clean boot environment?

Note: Ensure to restart the computer in normal mode after completing the troubleshooting steps.

I hope the above information helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Check if skype for business is installed, if so have a look at this post. Solved my issue which was presenting the exact same symptoms.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/4cb28e25-186f-4c80-8fd1-bc2e270b503f/cannot-send-mail-merge-email-after-upgrading-to-skype-for-business-2016?forum=Office2016ITPro

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 14,208 Applies to: