Is a Word document saved to your computer or to the cloud when you save it in Office 365?

I recently purchased a new laptop.  You can only get Windows 8 now.  The computer guy at Best Buy sold me a copy of Word 365,  Now I am hearing from the tech guy at our work that I could still load Office 2010 on a Windows 8 machine.  He has done that himslef.  He said he stayed away from 365 because so much of it is cloud based.  I want immediate access to my files on my computer.  I do not want to have to be logged into the internet in order to use Word 365 and access old files.  How does Office 365 Word work?  I am having a hard time finding any info on a Microsoft site.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I recently purchased a new laptop.  You can only get Windows 8 now.  The computer guy at Best Buy sold me a copy of Word 365,  Now I am hearing from the tech guy at our work that I could still load Office 2010 on a Windows 8 machine.  He has done that himslef.  He said he stayed away from 365 because so much of it is cloud based.  I want immediate access to my files on my computer.  I do not want to have to be logged into the internet in order to use Word 365 and access old files.  How does Office 365 Word work?  I am having a hard time finding any info on a Microsoft site.

Hello Melvin,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Let me assist you with Office 365 issue.

Your computer does not have to be connected to internet to access your installed Office 365 / Word 365 application.

The documents which are saved on the computer can be accessed instantly, this includes the old and the new documents.

Files created in Office application can be either saved locally or on OneDrive.

If you want to save the files locally on the computer then there is no internet connection is required.

I hope the above information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to File>Options>Save and check the box for "Save to Computer by default" and then specify the "Default local file location"

You may also want to check the box for "Don't show the Backstage when opening or saving files" to get rid of that nuisance.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1.)  Now I am hearing from the tech guy at our work that I could still load Office 2010 on a Windows 8 machine. 

2.) he stayed away from 365 because so much of it is cloud based.  I want immediate access to my files on my computer. 

3.)  I do not want to have to be logged into the internet in order to use Word 365 and access old files. 

4.)  How does Office 365 Word work?  

#1. Yes, you certainly can install Office 2010, and 2007 and 2003 on a Windows 8 computer.

#2 Yes, 365 is cloud based. That means you have to be connected to the internet to install it and you have to connect to the internet at least once a month to "verify" your account status.  Other than that you are supposed to able to work offline, not connected to the internet. 

#3  All of the Office 2013/365 applications default to saving "to the cloud", aka OneDrive formerly Skydrive.  As Doug told you "how to", you can also set Word to default to saving to your local computer.

#4 As well as it's "cloud" first orientation there is one other thing about Office 365 that is different than "traditional" computer programs.  Office 365 is installed inside of the "Click-to-run" virtual computer environment.  When you initially install Office 365, it actually only installs "program stubs" inside the CTR on your computer.  These stubs are enough to start the program and trigger the download of more program code as required.

As well, you can still buy a "traditional" install version of Office 2013.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So how do I make sure that adobe also saves to my laptop and not to the cloud? At the moment I am having real problems trying to download important documents sent by email that I need to be able to access WITHOUT being connected to the internet. I have spent months trying to find out how to do this and am thinking of moving away from Microsoft altogether :-(

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Which Adobe software are you using? You will have to ask Adobe how to change settings there.

On the other hand, if you are referring to opening attachments from outlook.com, you can always choose to download the file as opposed to saving to OneDrive.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I use windows 10 so I get automatic updates with no control and so I now have adobe reader dc. I don't save anything to OneDrive, but whenever I try to save (e.g. attachments, items off a website) they automatically save so that when I open them I open them online. I just want to save in adobe like I always used to

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What has win 10 automatic updates got to do with Adobe Reader, any Adobe Reader install or update is from Adobe site not any win update

If you receive a pdf attachment and open it, it should open in Adobe Reader, if it doesn't you have altered your default programs, if you then want to save it, if opened in Reader you select the save as option, then the appropriate Documents folder to save to.

If the attachment is not opening in Reader, reinstalling Reader should re-set the file associations

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 10 does not control how Adobe updates are managed. These settings are in Adobe Reader itself.

Again, some Microsoft services, such as outlook.com, open online documents in the OneDrive viewer, but nothing will be saved to OneDrive unless you choose to do that.

If you download PDFs and other files before opening them, you will find that they open in whatever program is the Windows default.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 28, 2024 Views 19,854 Applies to: