Internet Explorer 11 opens Links from Office 365 (except from OneNote) in a Blank Tab

Clicking a first link in an Office 365 program (Word, Excel, Power Point ...) IE 11 opens the corresponding page in a first tab. Clicking a second link opens a Blank Page in a second tab and produces an error message: An unexpected error has occurred. Strange enough, this does not happen with links in OneNote which allows to open any number of tabs. The configuration is: ASUS UX31A with Windows 8.1 Pro and automatic Windows Update.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Let me try to help you access the hyperlinks from the Office applications.

I would like to know few more information to assist you better.

Are you able to open the links from WordPad? Does IE behave the same?

Are the hyperlinks same as the ones in the other Office applications?

You may try copying the links manually from the applications and then try to open in new tab and check if that is accessible.

Let us start with resetting the Internet Explorer settings following the steps from the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. You will also lose any password saved while logging into email service provider websites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Let us know the required information and results for further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Aravinda Balakrishna for your prompt answer. I tried to find a solution by:

1. enabeling Enhanced Protection Mode in IE11 as suggested in another thread,

2. resetting IE 11 to defaults,

3. repairing Office 365 (Quick Repair),

4. repairing Office 365 (Online Repair),

5. restoring Windows 8.1 Pro to an earlier date.

The last operation restored the menu point "Send to OneNote" which was lost along the problem search so that I can use it again. The basic problem that clicking on a link in Excel, Word or PowerPoint opens a blank page when IE 11 is already active is still unresolved.

Opening a link from Wordpad makes no problem. To test it I use exactly the same link in all programs e.g. I copied to Wordpad the example hyperlink http://cef.morningstar.com/quote?t=boe that produces the error message and opens a blank tab when clicked in Excel. From Wordpad I could open the corresponding page without problems. The same is true for OneNote but copying it to Word and Ctrl+Click(ing) it opens a blank page and produces the error message. When I paste the link directly in the address line of IE 11 (even in the second tab) the web page opens without problem.

In conclusion: the problem occurs only with hyperlinks in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and maybe other Office 365 programs. It has not been solved by resetting IE 11 to defaults or Office 365 (Online Repair).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

You may follow the suggestions mentioned in the thread link below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/b0abb66a-7caf-49c6-ba0c-6af37e211922/ie-11-links-open-to-blank-page-after-last-window-update?forum=ieitprocurrentver

If that does not help, then you may check in a different browser to see if the issue occurs.

You may have to set the different browser as default.

Let us know the results for further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

You may follow the suggestions mentioned in the thread link below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/b0abb66a-7caf-49c6-ba0c-6af37e211922/ie-11-links-open-to-blank-page-after-last-window-update?forum=ieitprocurrentver

If that does not help, then you may check in a different browser to see if the issue occurs.

You may have to set the different browser as default.

Let us know the results for further assistance.

Thank you.

Thank you for your message. I tried all of the suggestion in the thread link which you mentioned:

1.Run IE with no add-ons (as I have Windows 8.1 I did it with Windows Key + R and iexplore -extoff)

This opens a new window for every link which I click in an Office 365 program (Word, Excel, Power Point ...) IE 11 opens the corresponding page in a first tab and the problem does not appear as it opens always in the first tab of the new window. Remember that the blank page appeared only on the second and the following tabs.

2.Try resetting IE - this was already done before without success (see above messages)

3. Run regsvr32 actxprxy.dll  as administrator. I have done so without any change after that.

4.if still not work, run system restore. I have repaired Office 365 (Online Repair), and restored Windows 8.1 Pro to an earlier date (when the problem did not yet occur). I have done so without any change after that.

Using a different browser is not an option for me. I have been using Microsoft programs since the mid-eighties.

Kind regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Let us run the fixit from the following article to completely remove all traces of Office 365 installation files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

Now download and install Office 365 suite by logging into www.office.com/myaccount with the registered email address and click Install Office.

Hope these suggestions are helpful. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Let us run the fixit from the following article to completely remove all traces of Office 365 installation files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

Now download and install Office 365 suite by logging into www.office.com/myaccount with the registered email address and click Install Office.

Hope these suggestions are helpful. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have followed it and uninstalled Office 365 completely with the FixIt procedure, then installed Office 365 again from www.office.com/myaccount and found that the problem is still there: the first click on a cell in Excel 2013 with a hyperlink to a website opens IE 11 correctly while the second and further clicks open a blank page and the error message. The only way around seems to be to close IE 11 completely before clicking a hyperlink. This is not very user friendly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I have a postscript to my answer to your suggestion to use http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501 : It seems to me that the FixIt removal of Office 365 did not really remove all traces of my Office 365 installation as the references to previously used files in Word and Excel were still present after installing Office 365 again. Maybe it's not important but I just wanted to mention it in case it is. Regards, PK

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Aravinda Balakrishna, do you still monitor this? The problem is still open even though I have followed all of your suggested steps. Even hyperlinks inserted in a previously empty spreadsheet will open a blank page in IE 11 when another page was already open before. The error message is always the same: An unexpected error has occurred.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Create new Windows User Account and try opening the links from the Office applications. Link below explains how to go about in creating a Windows User Account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Unemployed: Involuntarily leisured

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are having the same problem in our organisation on our Windows 8.1 SOE, which has a fairly default installation of Office 2013.

New user profiles have the same issue, We have found links open fine if IE is closed, it only happens if the user already has IE11 open.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2022 Views 3,691 Applies to: