I can't disable Spell Check

I need help disabling spell in Word Online through Office 365. I go into the Review - Spelling - Set Proofing Language and check the box that says "Don't check spelling" and click ok but it is STILL checking the spelling. I have students using this as a writing tool and when they take a spelling test, I have to have spell check off. Thoughts?
Answer
Answer

The "Do not check spelling" option does not disable spell checking throughout the document, in Word Online or in the desktop Word. It applies only to the selected text, in a manner similar to bold or italic formatting.

In desktop Word, you can go to the Options dialog's Proofing page and turn off "Check spelling as you type", which also turns on "Hide spelling errors in this document only". However, that just removes the red squiggly underlines; pressing F7 still runs the manual spelling check. Word Online doesn't even offer the ability to hide errors.

As far as I know, there is no way to disable spell checking in Word Online; and if there is a way, there's still no way to prevent students from turning it on again. Fundamentally, Word is not a good tool for giving spelling tests.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2024 Views 2,447 Applies to: