How do I copy a list item from Word to a third-party application WITHOUT also copying the liste item number,letter,marker,etc.?

I have Word for Office 365.

I have a document with a numbered list.

I want to copy the text from one of the list items and paste it into another program.

I select JUST THE TEXT (taking great pains to NOT include the empty space at the end of the line) and copy it by either pressing CTRL+C or using the COPY button in the ribbon.

I open up a third-party program and press CTRL+V to paste the copied text into the third-party program.

When I do this the line of text is pasted, but prepended to this line of text is the list time. So instead of seeing:

This is some text

I see:

a.    This is some text.

How can I stop this from happening?

Under FILE -> OPTIONS -> ADVANCED -> CUT, COPY, AND PASTE I have "Keep bullets and numbers when pasting text with Keep Text Only option" unchecked. I have all "Pasting..." options above this set to "Keep Text Only". I do not think these settings apply to my issue because they are for pasting into Word not copying.

I have no options for controlling how things are copied under this "CUT, COPY, and paste" section.

Thank you for your help.

With the selection in the text (no need to select it), use a macro containing the following code to copy it to the clipboard.  Then go to the other application and paste the contents of the clipboard.

Dim srange As Range
Set srange = Selection.Paragraphs(1).Range
srange.End = srange.End - 1
srange.Copy

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 14, 2022 Views 176 Applies to: