Go Directly to Edit Online

Is there a way to have documents open directly in "Edit in (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) Online" with out having to click on "Edit Document"?  This seems a redundant step as I can, from Edit Online then choose "Edit in Word, PowerPoint, Excel" from the Online editor.  Shouldn't documents just open oin the Online Editor automatically?

Thank you!

Alex

Answer
Answer

Thank you for your post Alex. You are correct that there currently isn't a way to default to edit mode using Word Online on OneDrive.  However, although I don't have an exact date, you'll be happy to know that this is something we are planning to change in the coming weeks (though it still won't be a configurable setting unfortunately).

Now, the fact that documents aren't opening in a new browser tab is interesting to me, since that shouldn't be the case as far as I know.  Does that happen in all browsers and on multiple different machines for you?

Thanks,

Michael Herzfeld
Microsoft Office Online Senior Software Engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Are you using the right-click menu in OneDrive? In that case, the command is Open which opens the file in read mode. To edit the file, you have to use the Edit command on the menu/ribbon.

Note that clicking a document link or icon will be quicker (but you still have to explicitly choose the Edit option if you want to make changes).

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,223 Applies to: