Outlook crashes when iCloud add-in is enabled.

At one time, the world was good, and everything worked fine.  Outlook synced with my iDevices through iCloud, and everything and everyone was happy.   Then one day, for no reason that can be fathomed, it simply stopped working.  The iCloud add-in would cause Outlook to crash, and the iCloud add-in was disabled.

This has been an ongoing problem for a long time now.  It has survived upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 8 to 8.1 and back to Windows 7 again (complete hard drive reformats and fresh installs), upgrades of Office from 2007 to 365, upgrades of iCloud up to 3.1.  No amount of uninstalls and reinstalls have solved the problem, I have followed every thread I could find on the net, followed every accepted solution short of a human sacrifice, and still it will not work.  The closest I got to getting it to work was after my last Windows 7 reinstall, and subsequent upgrade to Office 365.  I installed iCloud, the initial sync worked.  After that it was back to the same old problem.

The aggravating thing right now is, it works perfectly fine on my wife's computer, with the same version of Windows and the same version of Office currently installed on my system.

Anyone have any more ideas that have not yet been tried?  Or do I need to go back and reconsider the human sacrifice?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Here is the KB article documenting the issue and workaround, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3019219.  The Outlook Product Team is working with  Apple to investigate a solution.  I will post back when we know more about when the fix will release. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

We have seen this issue manifest as follows:

- Outlook 2013 synching to O365 Exchange

- iCloud COM Add-in is installed

- User clicks Calendar tab

- User clicks any other tab

- User clicks back into Calendar

- Outlook windows turns all white

- Eventually (within about 30 seconds) Outlook crashes

Running in safe mode, problem disappears

Disabling iCloud add-in, problem disappears

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been having the same annoying issue for a long time and no solution can be found. The only thing different is I don't have an "internet calendar".

File, Account Settings, Account Settings, and click on Internet Calendars. No Internet Calendar.

I hope someone can create a solution for this nightmare.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like Microsoft released the fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3019219

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi,

i have applied the fix give by Microsoft.

Now i'm able to open the calendar but it doesn't synchronize.

If i put a new events on my icloud calendar i can't see it on outlook ...

some idea to resolve the problem or get a workaround ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think this hotfix was developed specifically for the problem. When you get the hotfix you find that it points to a different KB article that doesn't mention iCloud calendars. I installed it and find that when I try to add an iCloud calendar I get an error that says it can't add it. I think all this hotfix does is trap the error so that Outlook doesn't crash, it doesn't return the functionality.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Let me add that the article assumes that the problem is that you cannot start outlook or its folders, which is inaccurate. It also assumes that Internet Calendar is the cause of the conflict, which also is inaccurate. I can open outlook and use it fine, and I don't have Internet Calendars. However, when I do enable icloud add-in because it is not enabled on its own, outlook freezes. It seems to happen in phases. I can enable icloud two or three mornings in a row with no problem, other times as soon as i enable it Outlook freezes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with you 100 percent. When I tried to install the hotfix, the installer software indicated that this hotfix was already installed on my PC. Perhaps it was installed by my IT team to address another issue on my laptop, but it had nothing to do with iCloud functionality. Unfortunately my optimism that a solution would be found has turned back to frustration with this sudden incompatibility between Outlook and iCloud. Seems I have no choice but to do a clean install of Microsoft Office, as one other contributor suggested (I think it was on the Apple thread another user mentioned earlier), I don't recall which), in hope that will resolve the issue.   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like iCloud released a new version of iCloud for Windows that started some other issues.

After installing Office 2013 (Click-to-Run) and iCloud for Windows and setup Outlook with a free Outlook.com account in my test environment I noticed:

Results:

• Outlook.com calendar folder has been moved to deleted items

• iCloud account has been added using IMAP/SMTP

• Items in Outlook.com calendar have been moved (not copied) to iCloud calendar

• “Internet Calendars” option is not being used in this version of iCloud for Windows

• iCloud calendars became the default calendar in Outlook 2013

• Application Add-in “iCloud Outlook Add-in” has been added to Outlook 2013 (c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\APLZOD32.dll)

Trying to resolve an issue, they created another one.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just want to confirm that the December 9th fix only addresses the crashing issue.  The Outlook Product Team is investigating a second fix that will enable the calendar to sync properly.  We do not yet have an ETA for the second fix.  I'll post back when we confirm that fix will be available.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2022 Views 9,971 Applies to: