Workflow in Word and OneNote

Hello all.

There's something I've been wondering about regarding my workflow in Microsoft Office.

Let me describe what I'm currently doing.

I'm preparing for an exam as a guide of a certain route. I'm going through a document I previously collaborated on with my co-students and translating each of its 30 different segments into the language I'll be taking the exam in. I'm also jotting down summaries and key figures for each leg.

Originally I started out working on each segment separately, each on its own Onenote page. I haven't used Onenote before and figured it'd be relatively easy to tag the texts somehow and then make Onenote export Word documents based on the tags (one with the translations and one with the summaries). This would mean I could reuse my work easily going forward, re-ordering the Onenote pages with searches and combining them with new ones for other different routes once I actually started working as a guide.

It's becoming clear that the program doesn't actually support this.

So I think my strategy will be to just have three different Word files open simultaneously on my screen and switching between them. This is okay but it won't really be the start of the database I was so looking forward to. In the future I'll have to go through these files and manually cut and paste them into new documents, also there'll be no connection between the file with the full texts and the file with the summaries. This is daunting because on my computer I've already got hundreds of different files by myself and others with various types of information; it'd be so very useful to be able to query them based on tags, and to have unprocessed information separate from the info I've gone over and made summaries of, &c.

Is there anybody on here who's faced and solved similar problems?

Thanks for your time.

Unemployed: Involuntarily leisured

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 641 Applies to: